Arcam Alpha 3 - desolation row?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bought this off ebay a few years ago. Changed a fuse and got it working. It seemed immensely powerful but almost no bass response - took it to a boffin who swapped over the volume and bass pot, saying they had got reversed - one linear and one logrithmic, apparently. He thought it was ok but still no bass through my old Celestions. It has since been to France and back, unused but one channel not working now.

I can't get the old schematic up from earlier posts - complete idiot at electronics but would like to make some use of physics degree from 30 yrs ago therefore any help most welcome. Female, btw, so can you please tell me whether to plug in before testing? :eek:

Alternatively any willing helpers in the Shropshire area could be well fed with cake etc..... or even filty lucre, dammit!

My guess for no bass is just that age has affected some of the capacitors in there used to couple signals from one stage to another.

A non working channel could be a few things - output transistor failure, muting FET failures, or even just cracked solder joints.

What's the serial number on the unit ?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
OK... so one channel is duff :)
First things to check are the two main power supply rails to the faulty channels output stage (page 18) and confirm that the +37 and -37 volts approx supplies are present.

Next check the DC voltage on the speaker fuse (middle of diagram at right). It should be pretty near to zero volts DC. Is the fuse blown ? Any DC voltage at either end of the fuse indicates a fault.

Lets see what that shows. Another possibility is that is the unit has been transported then it could have suffered physical damage.

We check the basics first though. Supplies present and 0.00 volts on the output is a pretty good confirmation that things are OK in the output stage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.