infinity rsiiia with bridged adcom 555ii's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello everyone,
iam new to this site, i recently aquired a pair of old infinity rsiiias from a guy that had purchased them new. it is as if they were in a time capsule not a scratch on them and he had just refoamed the woofers,which there are four,two tens in each speaker.the cabinets are sealed no ports,and they have emit tweeters and a poly dome midranges one in each cabinet.i love the sound but because of the four woofers in the sealed cabinets they require a lot of power.at first i ran them with an hk 3490 120wx2 not quite enough juice but it has preouts so i picked up an adcom 555ii and used the hk as a preamp it sounds great.it sounded so good i just got another adcom 555ii to run them bridged. the infinitys are rated at 200 wpc rms,the frequency response is 35hz-32khz, the crossover freq. 600,4000hz,nominal impedance 4 to 8 ohms @400hz im getting all this info from the original brochure that was included with the speakers.so iam just wondering if this would be a good match ,the single adcom sounds great but the little green lights on the front flicker at higher volume when the woofers suck up the power so im hoping the two amps would be safer. thanks in advance for any and all help

well i just got my second 555ii in the mail today from my ebay purchase,i didnt get any advice from anyone on here but once i opened the box wild horses couldnt have kept me from hooking them up bridged. so i did and it sounds amazing! i have never herd anything like this. bridging those amps made those infinitys do things i didnt even think were possible.the highs are astounding and the bass is tight.i had the speakers positioned to make a sweet spot where i normaly sit on my couch and now the entire place is the sweet spot the highs are even legit in the bathroom.ive ben listining all night and playing all my favorites, and its like im hearing them for the first time, even songs i normaly skip i let play and marvel at the difference in sound. i did notice the cooling fins on the back of the amp are much warmer to the touch, nothing crazy but is it something i need to watch out for? thanks for any help

if anyone was following this,everything is still great with the set up.the amps are working flawlessly,and the infinitys couldnt be happier.i put a little fan behind the amps to stir up the air and they run much cooler now.the big infinitys and the bridged adcoms are a sweet combo!

if anyone was following this,everything is still great with the set up.the amps are working flawlessly,and the infinitys couldnt be happier.i put a little fan behind the amps to stir up the air and they run much cooler now.the big infinitys and the bridged adcoms are a sweet combo!

Just picked up my first GFA555 and looking for another. Would like to get this done as well. So YES, people are reading this post. I'd be interested to get your thoughts on monoblock/ bi-amp and if you heard any differences. I'm new to the diy board, but would really like to try this out. Looking to run these to a pair of Salk Soundtowers (although that is up for debate).

glad to hear from you.i was wondering the same thing (bi amp vs mono)but the infinitys only have one set of posts in stock trim,plus the top woofer is somehow working with the mid range and the bottom woffer is dedicated to low freq.so i just went with bridging them.man it just sounds so good with them bridged i cant imagine it sounding any better,but i sure would like to try it,but i think it would be quite a project with my speakers only having the single set of posts.
before i got my amps i did a little research on bridging them,thats how i found this site,apparently the 555ii are better suited to run in bridged mode than the the earlier 555 so you may want to keep that in mind.if you search bridged adcoms on this site it should come up.as a mater of fact i think the guy responding to that post was nelson pass the one who designed the amps (by the way mr pass you are the man sir)
im by no means an expert,just chasing that elusive ultimate sound.i may not have found it yet,but im very happy with my set up. for a while anyway.
hopefuly some of the people on the site have tried both setups,and let us know what they think.
i hope you have good luck setting up your system

I have a pair of these I should sell. Already re-edged by an Infinity/JBL certified repair guy. Taking space in the Living Room.

I drove these immensely with a Hafler DH500 and NAD 1020 Preamp. My neighbor complained he could "Feel" them. The Hafler pushes 255 watts into 8 ohms and 400 watts into 4 ohms per channel. Both collecting dust too. The Infinity's are 4 ohms so they didn't lack power.

I listened to a lot of vinyl on this setup and really got absorbed into the music. It was an experience. LOL

I read that putting Dynamat Extreme on the backs of the midranges puts them more in balance with the highs and lows. Maybe worth trying.

Open them up and make sure the electrolytic caps in the crossovers are still intact after 30 years. Many have had to rebuild them.

Enjoy them. My experience was like the old Maxell Tape Commercials. Guy sitting in a chair getting blown backwards from the music. :D

Maxell-blown-away.jpg

maxxell guy

thanks for the heads up on the dyno matt extreme.i will get some this weekend. as far as the guy in the chair, i have modeled my hifi setup
after him,i have one leather chair in front of each of the rsiiia's and Eddie Van Halen
is trying to launch me and the chairs into orbit
ive found the only thing that keeps me from flying off the face of the earth is
a full sam adams cherry wheat.
i think im enjoying these speakers as much as you did
best of luck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.