Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Any High Power Darlington PA Amp Please?
Any High Power Darlington PA Amp Please?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Old 10th September 2012, 08:59 PM   #11
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
Originally Posted by Lazy Cat View Post
Considering Vce 120Vmax for your Darlingtons, bridged amp is the only way to get some serious power output at max. +/-60 V rails potential.
Yes, bridged amp. I will remember that.

Paralleling of Darlingtons can be performed if the drive current is evenly divided among all three parallel outputs and if they have app. the same hFE.
Just because the darlingtons were taken out of expensive device, I wish they have matched characteristics.

But if you're determined to use Darlingtons than you'll find the proper solution too, I'm sure.
Just trying to make use what I have on hands.

I just tried simulating the Darlington in dual LTP topology. It seems with low rail the distortion cannot be made low.

Tried again with Linn topology, got 0.004% THD at 500W/2R. But it is highly biased AB class (Easily oscillate in class B).
Attached Images
File Type: png Darlington_Linn.PNG (51.3 KB, 103 views)
Old 11th September 2012, 07:22 AM   #12
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member
Lin is not Linn
regards Andrew T.
Old 11th September 2012, 12:28 PM   #13
east electronics is offline east electronics  Greece
diyAudio Member
with 0.22 ballast resistors you have very few chances ....0.22 will not be enough to ballast between the darlingtons

when it comes to darlingtons hfe will be almost the last to bother with ...Do not forget that a darlington include the driver in the package so beta is the issue there that obviously will vary with catastrophic results depending on the supply / pcb/ drive/ load/and thermals

eventhough 11015-16 if as said the quality is good is a quite rugged device the supply is kinda low for such an application and bridged mode will also suffer from a number of issues

thermal tracking is also a bad solution ( to my understanding ) since will solve hardly one of the problem

I could see a solution with may be a multislope or dedicated VI limiters but then again will not be cost worthy from any aspect .

Finally common practice says that is never done before ...that should be a starting point ..

Kind regards

Any High Power Darlington PA Amp Please?Hide this!Advertise here!