Are there any nice heatsinked chasis sold in Noth America?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Most people don't have a metal shear and brake to make attractive panels. I'd say virtually no one has that equipment. I bought a small shear and I intend to get a small brake as well.

The last amp I built used HeatsinkUSA sinks and bought 2mm and 3mm metal plates locally, cut it using a bandsaw and some filing and looks just fine. :) Although it does take some work

The last amp I built used HeatsinkUSA sinks and bought 2mm and 3mm metal plates locally, cut it using a bandsaw and some filing and looks just fine. :) Although it does take some work

You also used a drill press and a scroll saw. So, that's a band saw, scroll saw and a drill press to make a pretty nice looking DIY chassis. Good job.

I should look into getting a band saw. Is yours a 12"?

Let's see here. By the time you purchase a decent shear, brake, spot welder, punch press for nice vents, get some etching done on a face plate and then hard anodized face, spray paint or powder coat, drill press and what not, isn't it much more practical for most people to just purchase a nice pre-made or even custom faceplate and standard chassis than to do this yourself. I am all for do it your self, but these are limits to what many can justify if they are not doing series construction here. I know that my power shear alone in my shop was thousands of dollars and a good break that holds dimensions isn't cheap either. It just seems that the electronics are where I would want to spend my money and not making the case if someone will do that for me at a reasonable price. To you who are doing a nice custom looking case more power to you, but for something that looks like a standard case that seems to be a poor use of your electronic skills. Just saying. By the way my band saw is a 36" and was built in 1936.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.