1DIFFQC amplifier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2012, 08:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 1DIFFQC amplifier

Here is the 1DIFFQC amplifier schematic
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 8th September 2012, 08:52 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

There have been requests to try out different darlingtons and this is fine. Among those suggested are MJH11018/20/22 and MJH6284 among others.
Old 10th September 2012, 10:08 PM   #3
Struth is offline Struth  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys

Integrated Darlington packages are only ever used when cost overrides performance and reliability - so only for budget amps like guitar amps and cheapo stereos.

Use a discrete Darlington circuit and cross-connect the bases of the output BJTs with a single R for faster response. Yes, it is five parts instead of two but it is more reliable and performs better. The bias reg should be affixed to the drivers on their own little heatsink. Only the outputs should be on the main heat sink, otherwise you run into problems similar to having the integrated Darlingtons.

For outputs use TO-3P or TO-247 devices. For drivers use TO-220 types.

Have fun
Old 11th September 2012, 01:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the input Struth. This research amplifier will most likely allow us to explore more about our perceptions about darlingtons, PSRR, quasi complementary, T.H.D. and a few other parameters.

There are a group of audio researchers working hard at it right now (they are putting themselves out there for us) i.e. WSJ, Kindhornman, Evette, Dagwood and many more.

As we await for feedback from them. You can read a surprising result here : PauloPT 1DIFFQC

There has to be a balance between what the meters measure and what the ears perceive. Sound perception and its dissonance with measurements is a broad area of research.
Old 12th September 2012, 05:32 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The Bom has been updated to reflect the alternative output transistors
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th September 2012, 06:24 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Harrison,
I just caught this thread. I am about to stuff all the capacitors, all the resistors and diodes are in and I see that you are talking about changing the output transistors. What has you going in this direction, is this just another possibility or has something changed in your thinking?
I'll have to look and see what is going on.

Steven
Old 12th September 2012, 07:10 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Kindhornman,

Looking forward to your review . Some members requested to use the alternative devices .

kind regards,

Harrison.
Old 12th September 2012, 11:35 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Okay Harrison,
Is the reason that these people want to use a different device because of noise differences or is there just some preferences for one output device over another? I haven't compared the BOM to the original yet to see what changes you have posted. Is it only the output devices or are there also other changes to optimize these output transistors? I am building the amplifier with standoffs so I could potentially change the output devices without have to De-solder the devices. I will watch and see what is going on closely.

Steven
Old 13th September 2012, 12:25 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks Kindhornman. Some members already had stock of these output devices there was no need to buy the TIP142.

This will be an opportunity to find out the superiority between the darlingtons. .
Old 13th September 2012, 01:34 AM   #10
evette is offline evette  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to evette
Yes I Have them all. Evette

Hide this!Advertise here!