what factors will give iron fist bass? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2012, 06:47 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default what factors will give iron fist bass?

I have auditioned many amps including Bryston, Pass, Krell, Plinius etc etc... but I found few amplifiers has really good iron fist bass in the sense>>
the bass is so tight and never stints even at the worst hit. Its very authoritative and not rounded just straight hit like a bullet. I am a bit confused where this actually comes from or what factors are very essential that makes this kind of sound.

I am thinking of using these modules..
Connexelectronic
for 200 RMS into 8 ohms Im planning to use 800VA of psu supply and nichicon capacitors of 30,000uf per rail. Total of 60,000uf per rail.

I would like to know is it possible with the above psu and module is it possible to get such bass? If not what are the other things that I need to consider to get it..
Old 8th September 2012, 07:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Have you considered getting different speakers?
Old 8th September 2012, 08:02 PM   #3
sbrads is offline sbrads  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You could have the most perfect amp in the world and not get what you're seeking. It's absolutely everything in the reproduction chain that has to be good enough to not destroy the illusion. A lot of it is luck, because you could reject one component (source, amp, speakers & stands, leads, room etc.) thinking it's bad when, at the time of that test, another component is either below par or doesn't work well with certain other components. I include the room, component positioning, seating position, mains supply, and all the usual equipment variables. I would say the amp circuitry is about 40% max (don't quote me) of the whole issue of bass performance. A good amp can do what you want while delivering only a few watts which makes you think - why do we need so much wattage?

I think the answer is that your amp choice stands as good a chance as any of achieving bass nirvana.
Old 8th September 2012, 08:28 PM   #4
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Tight fisted bass , PSU size and direct couple .....
Old 8th September 2012, 08:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

PSU size? how much size for the above module?
how to do the direct coupling for the above module? I would like to mod it if necessary...
This is the documentation and what has to be changed in it? http://www.connexelectronic.com/docu...ier_Module.pdf

The module is claims 170watts into 8 ohms which I will be pretty happy now lets consider the PSU...

170x2 roughly 350VA for class AB .. i would like to add more headroom 625VA... I am ready to add more but uncrompromised bass tightness..

more output voltage required from the psu?

what is direct coupling can you tell me what that is?
Old 8th September 2012, 09:39 PM   #6
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Get better speakers
Old 8th September 2012, 09:40 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Seconded.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 8th September 2012, 10:49 PM   #8
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

in room measurements, room treatment, more subs, multiple locations, EQed...

amps are way tertiary components in "tuning" a system's sound - it is all about the room, the loudspeakers

I wouldn't consider amp design choices in the running at all compared to loudspeakers, eq as long as they don't clip, run out of current

Last edited by jcx; 8th September 2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 8th September 2012, 11:23 PM   #9
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

With an "iron fisted" power supply, an amp can still hit hard in the bass when driven 6dB into clip. Using that old school-equipment you could be clipping almost constantly and not even realize it. With just barely enough to make the power numbers, you know it instantly when it runs out of gas.

Subjectively, the old 1970's PV CS800 will trash an RMX2450 driving subs. It takes a 4050 to keep up - and they're $1500 and weigh almost as much.
Old 9th September 2012, 12:35 AM   #10
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

As bizarre as it will sound to many people, get the treble right. That iron fist quality is due to minimal distortion in the treble spectrum; it's the very high harmonics that create that subjective impression of tight bass. If you don't believe me, disconnect the treble driver of a system that gets it right, and listen to the bass impact then fall to pieces ...

Frank

Hide this!Advertise here!