what factors will give iron fist bass? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th September 2012, 02:16 AM   #11
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Aside from what Frank said - Damping Factor.

Try some Crown MacroTech amps... the bigger ones have excessive power and very high DF. They put a second FB loop in the the "MacroReference" for even higher DF, you could probably mod a standard MacroTech and add the second loop...

Of course, a very high DF will *reduce* the apparent bass extension on a speaker with a relatively low Qt...

_-_-bear

PS. why Frank is correct: the leading edge of a bass hit is high slope. High slope is routed to the HF section of a speaker - of course the fundamental still goes to the woofer... think about the timing relationship that is required to reconstruct the original? This is also a factor in "realism".
Old 9th September 2012, 03:44 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I have a pair of 10 inch vifa Premium line 8 ohms woofers.
I felt that good drivers makes all the difference but good amps are definitely required.
I do accept that tweeters are very important in the aspect I have again decent tweeters scanspeak 9300 which gives the illusion of better bass. I have checked that but getting the damping factor I think like not less than 800 is my min requirement.

Im considering paralleling many psu caps smaller values like 1000uf x 20 per rail to decrease the discharge times from the caps and hence could increase damping factor.

Second feedback loop: how do I do that and what values that I need to consider for that?

I am very interested to mod the above module since feedback is just one resistor. May be for double feedback could be two.

I want to first test the quality of the above module but im worried about tight bass..

what is the psu recommendation...
Old 9th September 2012, 03:48 AM   #13
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

OK, for many of us a 10" is a midrange driver. Vifa makes nice drivers, no mistake, but a 10" woofer and iron fist bass just don't go together in my mind. Maybe I'm wrong?
Old 9th September 2012, 04:17 AM   #14
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is what will give you iron fisted bass. This will rival a thunderstorm outside your home for spl, transients and terror factor. Each sub box paired with a couple of Eminenece Beta 8 mid bass drivers, for the rest of the iron bass experience, will so satisfy your need that it will be decades before you out grow a pair. The more power you throw at these pro audio 15 inch woofers, the more power will shake your house, the whole thing, including window glass. They don't take up much room either. 20 Hz with astounding authority, from our benevolent friend Gary Pimm.

Bud
Attached Images
File Type: jpg i00024.jpg (64.0 KB, 389 views)
File Type: jpg i00026.jpg (64.0 KB, 370 views)
File Type: jpg i00028.jpg (48.0 KB, 427 views)
File Type: jpg i00030.jpg (64.0 KB, 369 views)
File Type: jpg i00031.jpg (48.0 KB, 367 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0775.JPG (70.1 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0779.JPG (54.3 KB, 99 views)
Old 9th September 2012, 04:38 AM   #15
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I've heard those and they rock! Thanks for the pics, Bud.
Old 9th September 2012, 04:43 AM   #16
CBS240 is offline CBS240  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
Aside from what Frank said - Damping Factor.

Try some Crown MacroTech amps... the bigger ones have excessive power and very high DF. They put a second FB loop in the the "MacroReference" for even higher DF, you could probably mod a standard MacroTech and add the second loop...

Of course, a very high DF will *reduce* the apparent bass extension on a speaker with a relatively low Qt...

_-_-bear

PS. why Frank is correct: the leading edge of a bass hit is high slope. High slope is routed to the HF section of a speaker - of course the fundamental still goes to the woofer... think about the timing relationship that is required to reconstruct the original? This is also a factor in "realism".
Good damping is essential to better control of the machanical motion of the speaker, high frequency damping is as well. This is where local high bandwidth error correction comes into play. Once you go EC, you won't go back.
Old 9th September 2012, 04:44 AM   #17
TerryO is online now TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

What are you planning to use for the "Iron Fist in a Velvet Glove" treble?
Old 9th September 2012, 04:51 AM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBS240 View Post
Good damping is essential to better control of the machanical motion of the speaker, high frequency damping is as well.
Appropriate damping for the speaker being driven. An amplifier can have too much damping and you end up with lean bass.

dave
Old 9th September 2012, 05:37 AM   #19
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

Gary Pimm uses a Crown DC 300 (?) as I remember. So, whatever the damping factor of one of those hoary old things is will be just fine with the good lords own thunderboxes. Seriously, Gary said the build was very straight forward and the blue stuff is chopped blue jeans matted into wall insulation for homes. I am sure I can come up with the woofer models if this get's you excited.

Bud
Old 9th September 2012, 07:01 AM   #20
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudP View Post
... and the blue stuff is chopped blue jeans matted into wall insulation for homes.
Bonded Logic UltraTouch

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!