power amp help please - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th September 2012, 08:16 AM   #11
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Reduce the voltage from the transformer by adding a few dozen primary turns.
Reduces the temperature of the transformer and possibly makes it mechanically quieter as well.
Old 10th September 2012, 08:17 AM   #12
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

63V?

75V or 80V would be enough margin for me.

Might do 300W/4Ω for you, sounds like you have a nice project!
Old 10th September 2012, 02:34 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

A 40Vac transformer comes out @ 58 to 60Vdc at the smoothing caps.

If you are seeing 63Vdc then that indicates that the transformer is > 40Vac. Maybe a 45vac. This will need 75/80V caps. 100V caps will cost a lot, lot more.
Old 10th September 2012, 04:33 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Potted centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Reduce the voltage from the transformer by adding a few dozen primary turns.
Reduces the temperature of the transformer and possibly makes it mechanically quieter as well.
Hi Andrew
Unfortunatley the transformer has a potted centre so not possible to add out of phase or remove in phase windings. The main smoothing capacitors are original and the powered mixing desk was used for background music aswell as live gigs so has done many hours I will be recapping it just for good measure. The main reason i mentiond the caps only being 63VDCis i could not belive a large manufacturer would have fitted these also i am quite surprised they have lasted so long. they even quote 63Vdc caps in the original scematic. As for the price of 100Vdc caps im not too worried as the rest of this amplifier came free of charge.
Regards Mark

Last edited by madtecchy; 10th September 2012 at 04:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10th September 2012, 04:50 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djk View Post
63V?

75V or 80V would be enough margin for me.

Might do 300W/4Ω for you, sounds like you have a nice project!
Hi djk.
The amplifier is rated by the maker as being 350 Rms into 4 Ohm's and 210 Rms into 8 Ohm's. it uses a higher voltage rail at 73 volt to power the front end and Vas. yes it is a bit of a project and has far too much power for my needs . oh yea i nearly forgot as this amplifier has a balanced input can i just take the inverting input to audio ground so i can drive it from a single ended source.

Best regards mark
Old 11th September 2012, 07:16 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtecchy View Post
210 Rms into 8 Ohm's.
If this is BJT output stage then that power confirms a 45Vac transformer.
41Vac is very close to the absolute maximum that can be used with 63V capacitors.

I too have a high quality amplifier that uses a 35Vac transformer and 50Vdc capacitors. This practice is a scandal, no matter how good they claim the sound quality.
Old 11th September 2012, 07:45 AM   #17
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

"The amplifier is rated by the maker as being 350 Rms into 4 Ohm's and 210 Rms into 8 Ohm's."

A 1Khz rating I'm sure (standard for PA), nothing wrong with that.

"can i just take the inverting input to audio ground so i can drive it from a single ended source. "

Yes.

" i could not belive a large manufacturer would have fitted these"

A large manufacturer (that will remain nameless) used to make a PA amplifier with 85V using a 75V cap. Another (very well respected name) hi-fi manufacturer used to run 52V on 50V caps.

When Peavey amplifiers with 52V rails and 55V caps would need replacement I would always use 63V. Same with the Bryston 3B.

I prefer to have 10% margin, and allow another 10% for high line voltage (76.23V for your 63V example, I could live with 75V or 80V).
Old 11th September 2012, 07:15 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hi Andrew
Yes the amplifier uses BJT MJ 15003 and MJ 15004 two of each . Im not sure how this amplifier will sound . The unit is more like 15 years old and im shocked the caps have lasted this long . Also it only uses two 3300uF caps in parrallel per rail to feed two channels. They look real small too for this power level . Anyway time to stop wondering and time to fire it up . Fingers crossed

Regards Mark
Old 11th September 2012, 08:00 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hi djk

Advice apreciated i will use 80 Vdc .Now for the 73 volt rail. It only uses 16Vdc caps for smoothing . The twist is they have smoothed the higher 73 volt rail against the lower 63 volt rail of same polarity and not to ground . from what i have learned form diy audio im really noe sure that is good sound quality practice to me it looks like thay have found a cheap way to screw the last watt out of this amp so it looks good on paper. Aparently it was supposed to be a very good unit in its day But then again it is a PA amplifier . .
Old 11th September 2012, 08:27 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

those 16V cap will do fine. they only see the difference between the 63V rails and the 73V rails. so those caps only see 10V.

Hide this!Advertise here!