Picked up a couple of Maplin 50 watt vintage amplfier modules.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I picked up a couple of Maplins vintage 50 watt amplifier modules off ebay for 99p ! OK paid £3-99 p+p but still a bargain.
I built one of these in 1980 and I had forgotten how good they sound.
It was oscillating slightly when I got it but I fixed that with a 150pf across Q4 collector-base.

The second module has a few transistors missing so that is a future project if I can find the old transistors, or I might have to find more modern equivalents.

Attachments

• m50.jpg
    m50.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Nice find Nigel!

I remember these well back from the early Maplin "Catalogue" days, before Maplin turned into consumer electronics joint it is today. I always wondered what the 50W kits sounded like as I never built one. Do you happen to have the original schematics as I wouldn't mind a copy?

Cheers
Ray

Nice find Nigel!

I remember these well back from the early Maplin "Catalogue" days, before Maplin turned into consumer electronics joint it is today.
Cheers
Ray

Maplin used to do some really good projects in the 1980's.
I built their disco with record decks, pre amps and mixer.
I found the 50 watt amplifier wasnt loud enough for a disco so I used Maplins 225WRMS amplifer and that was really loud.
I built Maplins sound to light unit and that worked well.

Maplin have changed a bit. Resistors are about 17p each and I buy them from RS the same for 1p in 100 off.
I went in to buy a HDMI lead one day and was gobsmacked at the price, I got one on ebay instead for £2.

They are expensive now but they are handy if I am short of a component or two. Less than a mile away.

the 150w bipolar amp which was rated at 225w 4 ohm! the kit transistors were 2N3055 and MJ2955. ha it is a laugh, they were never going to do it with reliability given their SOAR voltage of 60v. Powerful amp it is though, I had mine on MJ15003 and 15004 Motorola trannies back in '94

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.