Which type of amp i an select for surround or how much power i can select

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I am developing a Dolby surround sound audio system using STA310 decoder & its working fantastic....
Now i am moving to the amplifier side... I am using ESP project 101 for Sub-woofer amplifier. I have 2 version of SUB-AMP one is 100W+ (single pair of MOSFET) another one is 200W+ (Dual pair).

I am strong enough in embedded system & programming, but not in analog design.
1. Now i need to know how much power i can select for other 5 channels? (min, max & preferable). I am not preferring tower speakers.

2. The sub-amp goes inside the woofer box. The main enclosure contain dolby decoder & 5 ch Amp.
I want to make the main unit very compact & weightless.

So i can make a class-D amp for smaller size & weightless power supply.
Otherwise i can make an SMPS to reduce the weight. I will stack this two point in my mind.

Is there any other option available to achieve the size & less weight..
I can use upto 15-0-15/3A transformer. It is not less weight but i can make it compact.

So i am looking amp like TDA2050, TDA1521.... But is it power enough for 250W sub-amp???????

Regards
Udhay

iirc, the SPL specification for cinema or home cinema set-up requires a peak SPL of 105dB from the main & sorround speakers and 115dB from the subwoofer.

For THX calibration a -20dB tone is used and measered at 85dB spl in the listening position... The Audyssey system uses a -30dB tone, measured at 75dB spl in the main listening position.

That's very loud and a lot of people drop down -10dB or -15dB from this in the home.

Knowing this and taking what Andrew said onboard should give you a good idea of the power your amp needs...

Paul.

A target of 110dB at the listening seat is not easy to achieve.
105dB is easier and certainly cheaper to aim for.
100dB is too low a target. Too much of the signal gets clipped or distorts due to overloading.
Keep in mind that a sensible maximum average listening volume is -20dB ref maximum output.
A target of 100dB would be equivalent to an average of 80dB when listening at your loudest levels. That is only 10dB higher than talking to someone next to you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.