Help me settle something

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I tried to answer a question about "High Current Amplifiers" at the Car Audio Forum. But someone seems to be at odds with me about Amplifier Classes. Can you all review this thread and give me some comments to post. I'm no pro, and just know the basics, but this guy is saying "amp classes and amp operation modes are completely independent" I thought the amp class was the class of operation?

Anyway, someone please look at the thread and give some schooling - whether to me or otherwise, I dont care - hopefully I'll learn something.

http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=41856&page=2&pp=15

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I personally think that amplifier "classes" are reasonably well
defined (A, A/b, D, etc) and I would consider these these as
a subset of "modes" which is a less precisely defined term.

It looked to me like the poster was making accurate enough
points, he just uses the term "mode" in a particular way as
distinguished from "class". You could for example operate
an amplifier in bridged mode and class A mode, but I have
never heard of a bridged class. :cool:

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Lusso5 said:
I tried to answer a question about "High Current Amplifiers" at the Car Audio Forum. But someone seems to be at odds with me about Amplifier Classes.

I went throught he thread very quickly and I think the other guy is right.

Classes refer to how the devices operate, and have no direct relationship with quality or current capabilities, or fidelity. You can have really bad Class A amps, and you can have really good Class D amps too.

NO, I agree with the amp class definitions, and I loosley defined them on the previous page just the same. I understand "how" an amp is used too, but that isnt the real point of the thread, and comments like this one (below) are confusing me:

"So even though an amp may obviously be designed with a potential application in mind, there is therefore technically no "class" of "operation".. "

:confused:

hello Lusso5

"A Class A amplifier is what high-current is all about, but you'll never get one in your car"

thats wrong ,
amp classes got nothing to do with current
the amps current capability is determined by the power supply mostly .
class ab amps are the most common amps and with the same power supply class ab amp will give u much more power then class a .
the efficiency of class a amp is very low , the only advantage of class a amp is no crossover distortion .
todays class ab amps got very low (very very low) crossover distortion so class a amp not needed .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.