Measuring Current Output of an Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1 Get a dummy load of 0.5 (or 1) ohms non-inductive

2 Get signal generator which can produce a single sinus period pulse followed by a long rest (= low duty cycle). You can also use a pulse generator. Time for the pulse 1 ms or less. Rest at least 100 ms.

3 Get an oscillocsope

4 Make sure that the amp is going to withstand this sometimes destroying test!

5 Increase the signal until you won't get more out (when you see a clipping of the sinus pulse). Output voltage/dymmy load = Current.

:att'n: Such tests can destroy amps!

Perhaps, we should get clear about what is to be measured?
Shortcircuit current capability? Hardly interesting, or ...?
Current capability into resistive load? What resistance?
Current capability into reactive load? What impedance?

The actual measurement is easy in either case. A very low
value resistor in series with the load, and follow Per-Anders
procedure. I would recommend a much lower value than
0.5 Ohms, though.

The most interesting measurement is the Amplifiers capabillity
to deliver current into a capacative and inductive load (like a speaker). A current measurement into a non-inductive resistor alone, will not tell how the Amplifier handles difficult loads (but it sure gives a better rating) ;)
But be carefull, and don't push it tyo hard!!!!!!

Yeah hey guys, thanks. 1ohm seems kinda harsh. Its interesting though....I think that's how HK comes up with those big numbers. I'm gonna do some tests on my amp and see what I get into more of a real world situtation based on those calculations. Appreciate the responses.

an interesting approach to exercising output of single ended amps is to connect a resistive load between the outputs; diving the 2 inputs with relatively phase shifted signals allows simulating any impedance load

in "Output Resistance and Intermodulation Distortion of Feedback Amplifiers" JAES V 30, #4 4/82 pp178-190 Cherry and Cambrell suggest driving the 2 channels with 5:7 frequency ratio sines to sweep out the I-V characteristics of the outputs and test for "Interface Intermodulation Distortion", a sharp rise indicating ouput stage strain

( any sound card should let you test to < 0.1% IMD )

And of course, which I should perhaps have pointed out, with
a purely resistive load it is even simpler to measure. Just
measure the voltage over the load and apply Ohms law.
It is not very interesting to talk about the current for resistive
loads. Usually people are ineterested in power, and for
resistive load the current and voltage is implict from there.

I tend to agree with ACD that the only case (except for
calculations when you are designing an amp) where it is
interesting to talk about current capability is for reactive
loads, where you my need a lot of current also at low
voltage. Highly reactive loads can be fatal for the amp for
this reason, if it does not contain proper protection. Since
the current is high, but the output voltage low, you don't
burn that much power in the load. So where does the rest
of the power go? Right, the output transistor have to take
a high voltage and a high current simultaneously. Many
amps have more two or three times as many output
transistor as might seem necessary if only considering
resistive loads., in order to handle this situation.

Brands like HK rate high current outputs but brands like Onkyo dispute how they come up with those numbers. [/QUOTE]

The confusion is caused by marketing. They created the
term "high current" amplifier to imply they have a better
design. Analogy -> My car has a high horsepower engine.
Both these statements tell me nothing without
a comparison to make the statement valid.

My ABC amplifier design is 'high current' as opposed to
my other XYZ design but ABC is not high current compared
to my Krell amplifier based on tests. /hahahah

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Hmmmm..interesting procedure..

jcx said:
an interesting approach to exercising output of single ended amps is to connect a resistive load between the outputs; diving the 2 inputs with relatively phase shifted signals allows simulating any impedance load

in "Output Resistance and Intermodulation Distortion of Feedback Amplifiers" JAES V 30, #4 4/82 pp178-190 Cherry and Cambrell suggest driving the 2 channels with 5:7 frequency ratio sines to sweep out the I-V characteristics of the outputs and test for "Interface Intermodulation Distortion", a sharp rise indicating ouput stage strain

( any sound card should let you test to < 0.1% IMD )

I have been discussing this method as a means of measuring the hf phase (temporal) errors in an output stage as a result of reactive loading.

My concern was the transient chip dissipation and the thermal tracking output bias set inability to follow chip level thermals, as they are 100 uSec to 10 msec in nature, while the bias tracking is tens of seconds.

I was interested in transient response shifts as they pertain to soundstage, that being the 20 microsecond shift range.

Guess I'll look that one up..

Thanks for the reference.

Cheers, John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.