converting stereo amplifiers into monoblocks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, i want to make monoblocks from my yamahas B5 amplifiers , 250W/8 ohm per channel. so i can get around 500W /8 ohm per monoblock.

Please advice on good easily available op amp with sinlge supply that i can use for phase splitting, i intend to run it on recahargable battery to eliminate/minimize noise.

Secondly please advice whether i should go for direct briding or balanced ouput using ouput amplifier cancelling noise , in that case i would get greater SQ but only 250W per monoblock.

thirdly can i use a troroidal powersupply transformer as output transformer as i have two in supply. (110V input, dual 50V out put ) PS i only intend to use it for woofer section of two way speaker B&W 802 with cross over frequency or 550HZ so i think high frequency roll off should not be problem an in adition i would be using subsonic fiilter at 60 HZ so the core would not saturate at lower frequncies. (i will use a subwoofer for frequencies lower thatn that.)

REgards

Hello, type in this web site Elliot sound products... There's simple ways to bridge amplifiers using just a resistor and 1cap..this ideal has been used so many times via many brand names. Using a mains transformer from the amps o/p is not a good idea...

Anyhow see how you get on.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Audio from mains transformers?

Special models of toroidal transformers are common in small & medium sized PA amplifiers where they are needed to drive 70 or 100V lines but that is one of the few places you see them in audio applications, as the bandwidth is usually no better than E-I types and probably doesn't need to be.

For mid-bass only, your transformer will still require a lot of iron and very low resistance windings and this eliminates mains transformer windings altogether. Even with a suitable windings that may be fairly efficient at 8R:8R, the bass roll-off and linearity would still be significantly affected. Overall, DC coupled solid-state bass is vastly superior to transformer coupled, so if you want economical, genuine Hi-fi, stock transformers are not the way to go.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.