Sound more worse after replace cap - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2012, 08:40 AM   #1
kwm488 is offline kwm488  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Default Sound more worse after replace cap

Hi
This Adam A7 come with D-K cap. Do anyone know what brand is it?

And I replace power amp cap to elna cerafine and blackgate

Preamp replace blackgate and cerafine too. And change to bc film cap. Opamp change to opa2107.

Power filter cap change to bc 146.

Do anyone can give me suggestion? What wrong?

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 1st September 2012, 09:15 AM   #2
jned is offline jned  United States
diyAudio Member

Do you have an O-Scope to see what is happening?
Old 1st September 2012, 09:26 AM   #3
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Looks like an active crossover with Gainclone amps. Better not change many things at the same time. D-K is cheap but very good sounding.

1) Make sure you have compared both opamps (other components being the same) to make sure the problem is not due to the opamp. There are many (SMD!) opamps, which one that you changed? All?

2) Small caps (mostly in nF) might be crossover elements. If so, you cannot replace them with different values. Tho may be they are the SMD ones.
Old 1st September 2012, 10:05 AM   #4
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Guess I have to suggest, are you sure you did not get counterfeit parts?

By worse sound, what do you mean?

You modified two boards. Which is causing the problem? Both?

I agree, it is likely an oscillation has been introduced. It looks like some of the caps are physically much larger. Were the values changed? You need to get a scope on it.
Old 1st September 2012, 11:02 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi

I replace all the cap with same uf. S-K cap size small than normal cap. D-K cap sound very good?? You compare and get this result??

I stupid that I believe change all good componet will sound good. But I am wrong. I change all opamp to opa2107. My friend tell me original a7 sound better. I will know the result tomorrow.

How should I do now?
Old 1st September 2012, 11:11 AM   #6
sandyK is offline sandyK  Australia
diyAudio Member

Give the big electros plenty of time to stabilise. Some of the Audio Grade types are notorious for taking ages to stabilise.
Also, never do more than one modification at a time, and take the time to fully evaluate any audible changes.If in doubt, reverse the modification and listen again,
Old 1st September 2012, 01:04 PM   #7
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwm488 View Post
I stupid that I believe change all good componet will sound good. But I am wrong. I change all opamp to opa2107. My friend tell me original a7 sound better. I will know the result tomorrow.
What do you mean YOUR FRIEND told you the original was better??? Have you compared by yourself? You cannot compare 2 components in an audio system when the other components (speaker, amp, etc) are not the same.

Cerrafine and Black Gate is fine for power supply (decoupling). You may have done some mistakes (is it easy to solder smd chips? I heard it cannot be too hot), or the Cerrafine/Black Gate is not original. But if the cap is "in signal line" (coupling), yes both BG or Cerrafine may sound inferior in certain system compared to cheaper cap that is good for coupling (but bad for decoupling).
Old 1st September 2012, 01:17 PM   #8
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

what were the original opamps?
Old 1st September 2012, 04:25 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
What do you mean YOUR FRIEND told you the original was better??? Have you compared by yourself? You cannot compare 2 components in an audio system when the other components (speaker, amp, etc) are not the same.

Cerrafine and Black Gate is fine for power supply (decoupling). You may have done some mistakes (is it easy to solder smd chips? I heard it cannot be too hot), or the Cerrafine/Black Gate is not original. But if the cap is "in signal line" (coupling), yes both BG or Cerrafine may sound inferior in certain system compared to cheaper cap that is good for coupling (but bad for decoupling).
i give me the modded A7 to my friend. my friend compare my A7 and his A7 (use his setup). so i think it is fair to compare. i will listen what different tomorrow, my friend will take my a7 back and his A7 too
Old 1st September 2012, 04:26 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
what were the original opamps?
opamp is JRC 2068. what is it? i never hear 2068 ic

Hide this!Advertise here!