Tweaking Marantz 2225

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I purchased a old Marantz 2225 receiver www.classic-audio.com/marantz/2225.html I would like to tweak this unit.

1. Replacing the speakers connections
2. Changing the AC cord
3. Changing the some RCA connector (Phono and Aux)

My questions is.

I would like changing the internal wire for the speaker, I'm tinking use a CAT 5 sheilded cable for that ! Any comments?

For the AC cord, I will replaced with the removable AC plug (like pc), but the actual AC cord did not have a ground. The newest one I planning to install got one. Where do I need to plug this ground on the receiver?

And the last one, What RCA wire you recommended for the internal rewiring?

Thanks

Changing the internal wire is unnecessary, and the additional area exposed using Cat5 may well cause it to pick up transformer hum.

Likewise, the chassis of most vintage amps/receivers is designed from the start to float. Adding a ground can cause ground loops (but then again, it may be fine...depends on what you connect to it and how far away it is).

Change all the phono plugs you want. You will gain nothing (the stock ones are decent quality), but if it trips yer trigger then go for it.

If you would like to 'tweak', then replace all the old electrolytics with new ones. That'll be a tweak you can actually hear. ;)

Having myself a glorious 2265, bets tweaks are:
Get a rid of all tantalium transistors
Change the main cable with something more serious
take special care of ALL pots, specially selectors and volume, disassembling and using the best cleaning product you can afford
check the relay
There is a screw on the bottom connecting all grounds: check there is no rust there...
My unit, after 30 years from producing and 10 from a general recap which included most of the above, still keep singing almost every day
Good luck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.