Seperate power supply for pre-amp section in integrated amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have a Rotel RA-930AX integrated that I have completed a lot of modifications to.

My question is: Would a seperate power supply for the pre-amp section improve the sound?

The pre-amp section is using OPA627 op-amps.

I could get another transformer and bridge and some caps and have an unregulated supply or I could throw in a voltage regulator for good measure.

The current pre-amp power supply section is using a zener to achieve the needed + & - 18v.

Would anything be gained by using the existing transformer in the amp and adding a new bridge/caps & regulator?

Any input or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

KevinLee

:)

Thanks for the info analog_sa!

The secondary voltage of the amps transformer is 28 volts, once I go through the bridge it is like 39 volts.

The pre-amp section currently is supplied with + & - 18 volts.

Most regulators will not accept this kind of input voltage.

Maybe I would be best to but a transformer of say 20 volts and then build a bridge, add caps & 18v regs & more caps & call it a day.

Or would I be better to use an unregulated supply using a 12v secondary transformer and bridge & caps and supply my pre-amp section with 16-17 volts unregulated.

What will change by supplying the pre-amp section with 16volts instead of 18volts? Will I need to change some resistors values?

As always, any input is appreciated.

Cheers

KevinLee

Nothing much changes at 16v - no need to change any resistors. You will severely limit your choices with a low voltage transformer though, good regulators sound better than no regulation at all and some experimenting is a must. I just don't see how you can decide everything in advance and 'call it a day' without critically listening to all changes. After all you want your amp to sound better, right?

You are 100% right!, I do want my amp to sound better.

From what you are saying, I understand I should have a regulated supply.

I will source a couple different voltage regs and get to work.

The reason I was thinking of supplying the pre-amp section with a lower voltage than 18v is that the OPA627 have a limit of 18volts and I would rather not work any electronic part at its extreme.

Thanks

KevinLee

If you get anywhere between 20-25v raw dc you should have ample voltage to drop accross the regulators; 18v is a bit marginal if you aim for 16 regulated. In my experience you may get better audible results using a simple emitter follower with a zener in the base than any 3-terminal but the opposite opinion is also popular :) It's largely a question of taste: if you value air and dynamics more than control and bass solidity the emitter follower is likely the winner.

I have a 930ax too

on the pre amplifier:
I would like to replace the ne5532 by a lm6542, must I replace the dr18e by dr16e to have + - 16v (or dr14e +-14 v) or, then I can use the lm6542 with his tension max (+-18v)

others tweak on this amplifier?

I have the schematic

thanks

If it's like the RA-931AX (which i have a service manual showing PCB layout and schematic for), the regulators are basic transistor zener followers.

Simply replace the zeners with a slightly higher voltage zener, for example BZX85C24, then use LM317/337 to regulate down to 18V (or whatever) before the opamp.

Cheap, easy, good :)

The only issue here is that it may involve cutting the track. Again i'm going by the RA-931AX service manual. Another issue might be the dissipation in the pass transistors (they are only TO-92 devices !) - I would probably replace them with TO-126 packaged devices (the pinouts match). BD139/140 would do.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.