Mosfet source follower regulated supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am using this mosfet regulated power supply for my tube preamp and I am not sure which values should I choose for RC filter to the gate of mosfet.
RC filter is: resistor from drain to gate and capacitor from gate to ground.

I have tried these three RC combinations:
100k / 1uF
15k / 10uF
1.5k / 100uF

Although all three variations have almost the same cutoff frequency they sound quite a lot different. Why is that?

Q factor here is a relation between reactive and linear resistance of the filter. The R times C (RC constant) defines the time of the charging of the C. The value of the C, together with the gain (transconductance) of the active element defines the C multiplication factor of this circuit.
There is no significant current draw in the MOSFET's gate circuit - what we want is a filtered voltage at the gate because it defines the output wave form.

I suppose it's a Q factor that makes a difference. I often use that kind of circuit (MOSFET capacitance multiplier) in class A amps PSU and values that I like are 10k and 470uF

I was once experimenting with values of 1.5k and 220uF/100uF and 100uF sounded better, more open, more dynamic. I understand what you are saying, but still I dont get it why it sounds so different, am I missing something?

I don't know what amp you use with that PSU and what is its current draw. Look at the ripple amplitude in your PS voltage and take your amp's PSRR into account.
It's true that sound depends on PSU but it's, like most of the things, a matter of taste - what you call open and dynamic someone might describe as bright and aggressive...

Function of resistors?

Hi,

what is the purpose of the R21/R22 resistors? I have seen this simple mosfet source follower regulated supply also without them. In which case are they needed?

Attachments

• mosfet_reg.jpg
    mosfet_reg.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 499
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.