solid state amp warm-up time, myth or fact? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2003, 04:15 AM   #1
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Default solid state amp warm-up time, myth or fact?

there are some claims that amps can benefit from warm up time, please give your insights into this....thanks
Old 19th October 2003, 06:43 AM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

i read in one of the onkyo integra high power amps brochure, that warm- up time of at least 20 is suggested to get the sound right, what can you say about this? what is the engineering basis for this if there is,
Old 19th October 2003, 07:01 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Not sure...caps values and ESR shifts when it heats up???
Old 19th October 2003, 08:04 AM   #4
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

I once rebuilt a 200W Mark Levinson amplifier. Every transistor was replace in both channels. Every capacitor. The bias was identical. The amplifier warmed up faster on one channel than the other. One side sounded fine after 10 minutes, the other took about 20 minutes. The channels sounded identical after warmup.

After close examination it was found that one channel had a different brand of resistors for the 1/4W sized parts. Same 1% values, just a different brand.

Go figure.
Old 19th October 2003, 08:48 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, solid state amps take time to warm up... sometimes they get better over days -- one of the reasons i never bother turning my amps off.

dave
Old 19th October 2003, 09:44 AM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

Default so there really is a warm-up time?

and this is because of capacitors charging and transistors coming up to temp?
Old 19th October 2003, 09:52 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by djk
I once rebuilt a 200W Mark Levinson amplifier. Every transistor was replace in both channels. Every capacitor. The bias was identical. The amplifier warmed up faster on one channel than the other. One side sounded fine after 10 minutes, the other took about 20 minutes. The channels sounded identical after warmup.

After close examination it was found that one channel had a different brand of resistors for the 1/4W sized parts. Same 1% values, just a different brand.

Go figure.

Unfortunately manufacturers use different definitions for the
power ratings. One brand may be reasonably cool at the
rated power while another brand may be close to overheating.

As for the warm-up time, most transistors are likely to be
operating well within their margins, so they will probably
heat up slowly to the steady state operating temperature.
Old 19th October 2003, 10:23 AM   #8
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by djk
The bias was identical.
You mean the setting or the bias current, the value? Apperently not (the value), because of the different heating up times.

My contribution to this thread is that I suspect that a "cool" amp is less sensitive compared to a "hot" one.

Leaving it on, I think a "hot" amp has nothing to gain if it's left on 24/7. It will probably break down much sooner compared to an amp which is switched on when it's actually used. Costs money also to have it on, except for houses with electrical heating.
Old 19th October 2003, 10:28 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

So what actually causes the "better" sound?? Or izzit the sound that stays permantely after it heats up?? I haven got a problem with needing to heat up amps before... I mean SS ones...and I thought they didn't need serious heating up...
Old 19th October 2003, 12:23 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Turning it off and on.

Quote:
Leaving it on, I think a "hot" amp has nothing to gain if it's left on 24/7. It will probably break down much sooner compared to an amp which is switched on when it's actually used.
Actually turning it off and on many times is worse than leaving it on all the time. This is because turning it on is the most stressfull time for the components of the amp. Especially the power supply and power switches and relays.

Most research organisations leave their equipment on most of the time. On off periods are minimised. Apart from other reasons reliability is one reason to reduce on off cycles.

So leaving it on all the time is a good practice . Amps also take time to break in - may be months ! Leaving it on also stabilises the operating point. So when you want to listen, it is ready. The only negative thing about this is that in countries where the power fluctuation is very bad it might kill the amp if you get spikes or high voltage often. So you will have to do this judiciously.
People with power hungry amplifiers may be forced to turn them off due to their idle power consumption! That I guess probably covers most Class A users except Nelson's amps and similar types.
Cheers.

Hide this!Advertise here!