service manual Yamaha R8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for a Service Manual for a "Yamaha" R-8 1980s Reciever.

I intend on replacing four capacitors.

One is for the memory settings of the Tuner section. I was able to find out which one and buy it from some information on this wonderful site. The unit was forgetting the presets.

The other three are non symptomatic as far as I can tell, but there is visual evidence based on some threads I have read about Yamaha and glue/cap interaciton.

The three caps in question are;
one (1) Elana 25V 2200uF (M) 16mm x 36mm
two (2) Elana 63V 470uF (M) 16mm x 24mm

They all have RE and 8617 CE85degC and the letters S and V inside little circles on them as well.

I do not know what this means. The RE may be a series.

With the Service Manual I may be able to determine a more current Cap to replace them with.

Any guidence on the Service Manual or suggestions on the Caps would be most welcom.

Thanks

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Replacement caps

If you go to Mouser or Digi-key sites and search for Elna brand electrolytics of 25V/2200uF, for example, you find just one type at Mouser - 12,5mm dia. x 32mm. Caps have got a lot smaller over the years, so it is possible to even use higher voltage types or larger capacitance too where it is compatible with the application.

Often it is not possible to purchase old grades according to the designator (presumably RE) but it is not likely critical. Unless you want to adhere to the brand, there will be good alternatives in the Panasonic, Nichicon, Rubycon etc. stables too. The types appear to be the same here so it's unlikely that anything special like low ESR grades are required.

Unless there is good evidence that a capacitor is failing, it may be better to leave well enough alone, when parts are unavailable. Otherwise, post your schematic so that others can determine the requirements and suggest accordingly.

Be sure to check pin spacing as they should fit the PCB without stress.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.