Tivoli Model Two right channel faint -- fuse replacement?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings to All-

I have a Tivoli Model two that lives in my kitchen. The stereo is giving me a problem: Basically, the sound coming out of the right or "satellite" speaker is pretty faint. It also has an even fainter scratchy sound, too. If I turn the balance all the way to the right, I can get a sound from the right speaker, but when I return the balance to center it is obvious that the volume is much higher than it should be (because the left speaker is at least 4x louder). I generally play my iPod through the AUX port, or listen to FM radio. Findings:
  • The problem persists across AM, FM, and AUX
  • the problem is NOT there when I use headphones
  • I've tested or swapped the cables (and iPod), and made sure all cables are properly seated
  • When I turn the stereo on after being off for many hours, the problem is not apparent. When I then turn the balance all the way to the right and gradually turn up the volume, the sound drops out again (ie, the problem returns)

I tried to figure out what could have caused this, and I have a theory. I am fairly sure that the power to the circuit the stereo is on was cut at the breaker and returned ...while the stereo was on (NOT by me!). In fact, this is the second "electrical device problem" I've found in the kitchen: I have some old fluorescent lights under my counters, and one of those died. I replaced the bulb, but this wasn't it so I bought a new ballast but I haven't gotten around to replacing that yet since it is like no other ballast I've ever replaced (it is about 6"x4"x1" and is heavy as a brick, and requires wired connections rather than just popping-in. It is basically the entire heart and soul of the light fixture).

I did some quick searches for the Tivoli problem and found a number of people describing the EXACT SAME PROBLEM (right down to the problem disappearing when the unit has been off for awhile) but always with the left or "main" speaker, not the satellite. I found these described out on the web, not on this site. It seems to me since there are no boards in the speaker itself, then its very likely that any problem with the left or "main" speaker is the same as my problem ...and would be fixed the same place. In this somewhat incomprehensible thread, it was suggested that a cheap fuse from Radio Shack could do the trick.(Tivoli model Satellite will not turn on. Had intermittant - FixYa)

I have enough experience fixing computers, installing car head units, and installing light fixtures around my house to be confident enough to open up the unit and replace a fuse. I own a Dynaco ST70 and I know how to balance the output with a multimeter. Beyond that, I have no real clue about soldering, or what various caps and pots are (or do). Basically, if the repair can be done by finding and popping-in a common part, I am game.

Does anyone have any ideas about what's going on here? I've found a number of photos on this site of the model two opened up (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/201525-help-me-identify-damage-tivoli-model-1-a.html)
...is it easy to open it up? If so, I could try and check the boards for any obviously blown or burnt components.

Any ideas, suggestions, etc are most welcome. Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hmmm... see I contributed to that other thread :)

"When I turn the stereo on after being off for many hours, the problem is not apparent. When I then turn the balance all the way to the right and gradually turn up the volume, the sound drops out again (ie, the problem returns)

That has to be a clue and believe it or not that can be a symptom of a faulty speaker.

It has to be the first thing to check and the only way to prove it is to either substitute it or connect it up in place of the other good one.

Working on h/phones suggests the output stages are OK although of course they are only lightly loaded.

tivoli model 2 satellite speaker drops out on FM radio

Hi

I have a very similar problem.
The only difference is that I have the optional C.D player connected in and when I use that the satellite speaker does not drop out.
If I flip fast from AUX back to FM the satellite speaker returns for a min or so then drops out again.

Have you found a working solution to this problem yet?

cheers
d

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.