Noble,Alps,TKD ? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2012, 12:57 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Alps Blue Velvet to cheap attenuators, but I've had a variety of pots made from different materials and various brands and none are close to either of the Chinese stepped attenuators I've had - big one with dale resistors and really cheap surface mounted parts one, the cheap one was best. Comparing expensive pots with attenuators is like trying to find a really expensive candle that is better than an electric light. I wouldn't worry about noises when changing volume, what the sound is like when set and listening that matters.

You might want to look at removing input capacitors on the amp if the source(s) have DC blocking on their output(s), no point in putting the signal through two sets of caps.

21 clicks is not a significant problem and worth the trade off for clearer sound, attenuators simply provide a cleaner signal.

In my experience input and feedback resistors are disproportionately significant, most deisgns have an input resistor or two in either a filter or to make the amp easier to drive. Do you have a circuit diagram or know what the design is?
Old 29th September 2012, 01:18 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dry joint View Post
One of these will be better than any pot

DACT Type 21 Stepped Attenuator Potentiometer 50K 300B | eBay
or

New 21 Step Attenuator Potentiometer 10K Log Stereo | eBay
They are the same size as regular pots.
Keep in mind those are NOT ladder attenuators but series attenuators. So you have 21 SM resistors in series ...

I have a few and they are a great value.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 29th September 2012, 01:28 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Its single stage opamp with feedback resistor but I dont really know details that much.
Heres review of that headamp. Simple and fantastic:

High Fidelity

Im afraid its only in polish language though.
Old 29th September 2012, 02:18 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Not sure what I have, it was from ebay a few months ago, cost 10 inc del and sounded great compared with pots and a bit better than ladder attenuator with dale resistors. I never thought smt resistors would make much of a difference, live and learn.

The quality of that feedback resistor will matter.
Old 3rd October 2012, 05:45 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

OK guys I still hgavent bought anything yet as I have some doubts.
What can you say about Goldpoint stepped attenuator then and comparision to "ordinary" Noble or TKD pots?:

Compare Attenuator Types

Im even more interested in comparing Goldpoint to attenuator from ebay. Exactly this model. Anyone tried? im very curious if build quality of such attenuator is worth money over Noble and TKD and ofc to Goldpoint? Also whats SQ?

10K 24 step Attenuator Potentiometer 0.5% Takman REX25 | eBay

Im interested in that model with Takmans, not other with Dale as there is also different build quality I think.
Old 3rd October 2012, 10:50 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

You'd want the metal film Takman REY ones not carbon REX, individually the resistors cost the same retail so the seller might be able to do one.
Old 7th November 2013, 12:10 AM   #37
impuls is offline impuls  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

Does anyone compare sound of the old black alps rk40 with other potentiometers? And RK27 in shunt connection in comparison with TKD 2508 classic connected?
Old 7th November 2013, 03:00 AM   #38
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yikes! 4 pages of drivel postings re the relative merits of various Pots, many of which are Cheap Crap Clones out of China... unbekmownst to their Fanboys :-)
Yet no one gave much notice to the early AKSA post which correctly suggested Gold point Stepped Attenuators.
Then it devolves into Brands of Resistors.
IF you can hear differences betwixt decent quality resistors and the Moron priced ones ..
then you are a true Human Genetic Mutation.. likely deserving to be put on display.
Shamefully many are focused on talking over the next guy, rather than posting information of use.
Gotta love: Open Mouth Forums.

Last edited by Bare; 7th November 2013 at 03:07 AM.
Old 7th November 2013, 04:42 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Early on, I suggested TKD stepped attenuators. Apparently no one was listening or they all had sticker shock. Sometimes, you DO get what you pay for, but only if the rest of your system is transparent enough to reveal the difference. Regards especially to AKSA.
Old 7th November 2013, 08:16 AM   #40
impuls is offline impuls  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

I want to buy tkd 2508 20k but do not know where. As a easier available solution i try to find a variant where would be and other pot give a similar sound result.
And yes, difference in potentiometers are heard and in an inexpensive systems, does not have to be expensive.

Hide this!Advertise here!