Noble,Alps,TKD ? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2012, 02:29 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Guys, I wrote that I dont have space for any stepped attenuator. I want to make an upgrade from RK09, Vishay Sfernice and ask if Noble or TKD is step above?
I also see there are 2 THD pots with dirfferent prices. 601 series and 2511 series. Can anyone tell me the difference between them, besides size? I know 2500 series are also different but why 601 is much cheaper? 601 proce is similiar to Noble. Which one is better - older Noble or newer TKD? How do they compare to ALPS RK09 or Vishay Sfernice. I dont want to hear about Khozmo, Shallco etc etc.
Thank you.
Old 27th September 2012, 01:23 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Please do let me know what do you think Im not sure if I should buy some TDK or Noble pots to replace RK09?
Old 27th September 2012, 03:40 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

I would like to know at least whats the difference between 600 series and 2500 series of TKD as 2500series cost 3 times more, hmmm.
Old 27th September 2012, 08:35 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Stepped attenuators that use surface mounted resistors are smaller, cheaper and sound and measure better than premium volume pots. I'd go for a cheap attenuator and put the saved money into the PSUs, electronics, cabling or speaker upgrades.
Old 27th September 2012, 08:54 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Ive got cheap RK09 now. I really have no space for stepped attenuators... I have good PSU, cables and headphone system. I just need potentiometer. SMALL, GOOD.
Dont want to read theory - if anyone "heard" those mentioned in posts and know difference between 600 and 2500 series of TKD I would be thankful.
Old 28th September 2012, 12:48 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibra View Post
Ive got cheap RK09 now. I really have no space for stepped attenuators... I have good PSU, cables and headphone system. I just need potentiometer. SMALL, GOOD.
Dont want to read theory - if anyone "heard" those mentioned in posts and know difference between 600 and 2500 series of TKD I would be thankful.
ok, first the TKD are very small and very well made (smaller than alps and Noble) the feeling when you turn it is smoother than Alps and Noble!!! I try the 600 series and sounded better than ALPS and Noble.
Old 28th September 2012, 05:36 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Could you please write a little bit more, what better sound means?
I noticed that RK09 has little noises while turning it. Anyways RK09 is better than "famous" RK27 which sound is muffled and bloated.
Thanks.
Old 28th September 2012, 03:38 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Anybody tested TKD 2CP-601 pot and compared it to Alps and Noble pots?
Old 28th September 2012, 09:53 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

One of these will be better than any pot

DACT Type 21 Stepped Attenuator Potentiometer 50K 300B | eBay
or

New 21 Step Attenuator Potentiometer 10K Log Stereo | eBay
They are the same size as regular pots.

You have a PSU per channel? Upgraded the input resistors that come directly after the volume control as they are part of that signal chain and important?
Old 29th September 2012, 09:22 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

I use accumulators for powering headamp and its well implemented DIY from my friend who already started commercial path. I think however that pot could be better, especially I hear some little noise by turning it on some levels.
TKD has also stepped version but much more expensive, but is it enough for stepped pot to have 21 clicks?
Of course that pot above is cheap enough to give it a try but have you made straight comparision to TKD or others worth mentioning?
I dont have input resistors I think but not sure.

Jakub

Last edited by zibra; 29th September 2012 at 09:31 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!