Musical Fidelity A100 - convert to power amp? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2012, 01:32 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Musical Fidelity A100 - convert to power amp?

Greetings,

I have a Musical Fidelity A100 integrated amp with a input switch that needs replacing (sounds like dirty contacts in the switching mechanism). Id like to convert the unit into a power amplifier if I could figure a way to short the CD input (or any other line level input) straight through to the amp section. I'm fearless with a soldering iron, but I lack the confidence when it comes reading the schematic. I'd very much appreciate any tips.

I've studied the schematic supplied by Musical Fidelity A1

Could I kindly ask the community for some advice here can this operation be done?

Thanks,
Pete Jones
Vancouver, BC
Old 18th July 2012, 01:55 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Sure it can be done! But that integrated amp looks very good. I would "fix" that input selector or change it. also I would change those old electrolytic capacitors. That is a very nice integrated amplifier for sure.
Old 18th July 2012, 03:02 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Indeed - I'm looking forward to replacing capacitors and loving it up in every way I can. I enjoyed several months of glorious sound before the input selector died. I use the preamp in my tubeDAC and think there would be no advantage to keep the A100 preamplifier in the signal path. I have no need for anything but a poweramp function from this unit. I imagined that a careful solder job would do the trick - if I knew where to point the thing!

Hide this!Advertise here!