Capacitor Replacement on Spectro Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone. I searched the threads but wanted to throw out the question before I did something stupid.

I picked up an old Spectro Acoustic Amp (no model number). Bought it in to service (had a hum). The service guy estimated it was 200-250 wpc and couldn't find any info, schematic, etc.

He did show me the two capacitors in the amp - 87 Volt, 13K uf and one of them had a 5K uf cap wired to it (an earlier repair)

He suggested I find a 100V 5,k uf cap and wire it to the other cap that wasn't working properly. To me this seems like a band aid repair and I would be better off replacing both caps.

From the threads I got some mouser.com and on their site there are many computer grade caps of 100V from 13K uf and up.

Should I buy something as close to 13K uf as possible or am I better off buying something as large as will fit on the chassis (20-24K uf).

One last and embarrassing question. One of the gain controls also needs to be replaced. What is the correct name for this part? The service guy wrote down 100V volume control.

This seems like a solid well built amp and worth repairing. The repairs the amp needs are within my abilities. Any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks,
Ralph

Should I buy something as close to 13K uf as possible or am I better off buying something as large as will fit on the chassis (20-24K uf).

Yes is safe to buy something close to the originals 13.000 uF ...if you put something large you can burn the bridge rectifier at turn on...

One of the gain controls also needs to be replaced. What is the correct name for this part? The service guy wrote down 100V volume control

The name is a "log pot of 100k Ohms"...ask for this in the electronic shop!

Regards

Should be an easy job from the way you described it...you could have bigger caps...but would have to up-rate the rectifiers accordingly...before you try that...you might want to make sure your amp works properly first...get the gain done..then the caps...should be ok after that...remember to keep hands off the amp when you are testing...with the cover open...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.