Question about preamp input impedance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm planning to build a simple preamp. Actually, it is more like an active attenuator, a volume control for monoblock amplifiers. I'm planning to use the TL072 for the task. I'm planning to use two, one for each channel. Each channel will have an RC network, followed by a voltage follower, the volume pot and the final output stage is another voltage follower.

My questions:
Is 100K a good value to be used to set the input impedance (in the input RC network that defines the RC constant)?

Between the voltage follower, is it adequate to use a 10K pot for the volume control? Or I'm better off using a higher value, like 100K?

The standard is 47K but you will not have a problem with most equipment if you use 100K.

If you use an opamp, then volume pot, you should be OK with a 10K pot. Better still would be a 100K *linear* pot, with a resistor from the wiper to ground to "fake" a logarithmic law. Rod Elliot has a great article on this, and it works really well.

Thanks sofaspud and jaycee!

I'll use a 100K pot with a 47K resistor to fake the logaritmic action. This will be located between the buffers. Thus, any variation on the volume won't affect the input impedance.

"The standard is 47K but you will not have a problem with most equipment if you use 100K."
When you say "you will not have a problem with most equipment if you use 100K", what kind of problems might arise? I'm leaving the option of using this preamp connected to the output of more sensible equipment, like tube preamps. That's why I want the impedance to be that high. But maybe 47K might be enough. What do you think?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.