board suggestion for given PSU (+/-45v or +/- 90v)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Hi all, I am posting for a friend who would like to put to good use a PSU section he recently came across:

1) 1500v toroidal with common 30 (CT) and 60v (CT) rails
2) fast diodes and total capacitance of 150,000uf in total (more or less).

He has little time to spare (and since I offered my help...it is also my time :) ) so he would like to purchase a kit or, better yet, pcb boards for a stereo build.

Topology does not seem important (but I think that the small value of capacitance rules out large class A builds but maybe small ones?)

Load to drive 8 ohm medium to high sensitivity speakers. Power rating suggested (30-60w or more if compatible with HIFI given the described psu)

I am sorry to bother the forum with such a question but I was hoping for some nice useful advice. I realize it may be against forum rules but a link to some vendor would be great.

best regards
Alex

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
thanks for your help (my friend thanks you too).

I built a small quasi nmos 200 and found the big brother nmos 500. What do you think. The requirements are perfec. 72/75v + small enough capacitance (half of what my friend has would be sufficient for the project).

Class A is out of the question, I know (no point in walking down that path if you can't achieve full current draw with an acceptable ripple).

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
you are right! the tansformers is overkill but as with many diy projects we work with what is handed by fate (or pocket money :D). In this case it is a 1200 (not 1500w, my mistake) transformer.

I'll look into the 500 and my own 200 version. Multichannel perhaps? The nice thing about the nmos 500 is that it incorporates the dc detect, it has tons of power and runs comparatively cool.

If running a pair of 500w per channel boards is a waste of a 1200w transformer then running a couple of nmos 200 boards would be an even greater waste.

I will ask him to check the voltage rail again...there is something which does not compute :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.