Help me with JFET problem!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok... i am using the 2N3819 JFET with a 40v supply.

I am in need of the drain to sit at 20v. voltage gain around 6-10. around 2mA or so current.

currently I have a 10K drain resistor and a 1K source resistor.

The drain sits at 29v and my voltage swing has an assymetrical clipping.

Do I increase the drain resistor? If so decrease the source resistor????

The source resistor is NOT bypassed in anyway.

The drain is DC coupled to a MPSA18 connected as a common emitter with a 1K emitter resistor (want to run around 20mA).

cap coupled thereafter.

Thank you for any replies as I am in need of an answer asap and knew I could get help here.

ok did that

ok...disconnecting the emitter follower changed the drain voltage by about 1v or so. decreasing the source resistor also increases circuit gain.

should i instead increase drain resistor higher than 10K????

hmmm........

what other JFET should I try??? different model # or just a new 2N3819?

txs!!!!

ok!

ok... it actually sits at 30v.

gain is around 6 with 10K / 1K combo of resistors.

changing to 10K with the 1K paralleled with 2K gain is 9 drain at 28v.

I didn't want to cascode them.... but I could try it I guess.

any other ideas???

and yes I know my supply voltage is a little high for these JFETS.

better JFET? like?

TXS!!!!

You are exceeding the best working point of the 2N3819. RF fets, like the 3819, will leak excessively well below the max voltage point. This can cause noise, and make biasing difficult. A self cascode with the cascode device's gate connected to the source of the input fet, and the cascode source connected to the input fet's drain will work OK, but you should use a more modern fet, that one is almost 40 years old! I recommend a 2SK170 or a J113 (american type) fet for this voltage range.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.