Adcom 535 popping

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I have Adcom GFA-535 and it pops once in a while (randomly). I can not tell which channel. When I wait for the pop standing close to the speaker, it never happens.

Q: If I recap would it solve the problem?

Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks.

Nico

I would check all the solder joints first.

It could be the bias pot getting flaky.

Small-signal plastic transistor may develop PCN (pop-corn-noise).

It could be anything, but the caps would be lower on my list of suspects. On the other hand, if the amplifier is older than 10 years it will likely be needing them sooner than later.

there you go

Attachments

• 535.JPG
    535.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 169
I have a gfa-535 that makes a loud pop only on power down. Googled the issue and found that its normal to hear the capacitors discharging when the amp is powering down - which a second gfa-535 I have does - but the other one makes a distinctive pop in the right channel that is loud enough to be disconcerting. Using the speaker disconnect buttons on the front of course addresses the issue, but the amp is used by others who likely won't always remember to do so, so it would be nice to figure out what is causing it. Both amps have been recapped. All solder joints in those spots gone over once more. I'm out of ideas on what else could be causing it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.