Low volume issue with Power Amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd July 2012, 03:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Low volume issue with Power Amp

Hi,

I have a 5.1 channel power amplifier (only power, not integrated). It is a Audio Image AP-5400 (impossible to find anything on the internet, I suspect it was from a very small production, but high end). It is old, like 20years old possibly.

I connect my UBS dac straight to it and control the volume from my computer.

When I turn it on and play low volume, the right or left channel (depending on the day, sometimes but rarely both) would play, then stop then play (feels like crackling) and ultimately stop playing completely.

If volume is loud, I have no problem. Also, If I turn the volume up, and let it play loud for 5 minutes, I can then reduce the volume and listen quietly for hours. It feels like the amp needs a warm up at high volume.

I tried putting a preamp between the Dac and the power amp: it did not solve the problem.

Any idea what it could be?

Thanks,
Serge
Old 3rd July 2012, 03:20 PM   #2
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Coupling capacitors need replacing most likely, along with any other electrolytic capacitor in there.
Old 3rd July 2012, 04:00 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergedc View Post
Any idea what it could be?
If the amp has relays on the outputs you may want to check their contacts and clean them, or totally replace the relays.
Old 4th July 2012, 04:31 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Resoldering the boards will mostly solve this type of problem.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 4th July 2012, 09:02 AM   #5
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Actually yes I'd agree with discrete - if there is a speaker relay then it probably needs to have its contacts cleaned. I would consider capacitor renewal as well though.
Old 28th July 2012, 05:48 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discrete View Post
If the amp has relays on the outputs you may want to check their contacts and clean them, or totally replace the relays.
Totally agree, most of the time this kind of malfunction is due to a poor connection at relay contacts, there's a very real good chance that if you perform this simple fix you will get rid of that issue.
Old 28th July 2012, 12:47 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergedc View Post
Hi,

I have a 5.1 channel power amplifier (only power, not integrated). It is a Audio Image AP-5400 (impossible to find anything on the internet, I suspect it was from a very small production, but high end). It is old, like 20years old possibly.
Thanks,
Serge
Perhaps you mean the brand "Nelson Audio Image" ??
Audio Image AP-5400 - Google-Suche

Hide this!Advertise here!