Low volume issue with Power Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have a 5.1 channel power amplifier (only power, not integrated). It is a Audio Image AP-5400 (impossible to find anything on the internet, I suspect it was from a very small production, but high end). It is old, like 20years old possibly.

I connect my UBS dac straight to it and control the volume from my computer.

When I turn it on and play low volume, the right or left channel (depending on the day, sometimes but rarely both) would play, then stop then play (feels like crackling) and ultimately stop playing completely.

If volume is loud, I have no problem. Also, If I turn the volume up, and let it play loud for 5 minutes, I can then reduce the volume and listen quietly for hours. It feels like the amp needs a warm up at high volume.

I tried putting a preamp between the Dac and the power amp: it did not solve the problem.

Any idea what it could be?

Thanks,
Serge

Hi,

I have a 5.1 channel power amplifier (only power, not integrated). It is a Audio Image AP-5400 (impossible to find anything on the internet, I suspect it was from a very small production, but high end). It is old, like 20years old possibly.
Thanks,
Serge

Perhaps you mean the brand "Nelson Audio Image" ??
Audio Image AP-5400 - Google-Suche

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.