High performance feedback for "Lowtech" amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had this idea. Maybe I'm reinventing the wheel or saying foolish things but here it goes;

What if I use a fast high performance opamp in a parallel feedback loop to counter harmonics/mains hum? It's difficult to explain but here goes my attempt;

Take an amplfier.
Measure/take the output, use a voltage divider to lower the voltage and send that into a fast, high performance opamp. In the opamp, compare this output to the source signal. Make the opamp send the difference added with the original signal to the amplifier. This way you can use the specs of a low-voltage high performance opamp and use it in your "high" voltage stage.

Is this used "all over the world" "nothing new here" or have I been in the sun for too long and becoming delusional?

@Ourobos
Feedforward would be like this;
System had fransferfunction G. The controller would have transferfucntion 1/G. That would make the overall transferfunction 1. In other words, the reference and output would be identical.
@DF96
What if my amplfier/plant is stable and the controller is stable, then the overall amp should be stable too but I share your thoughts on this.

I am still looking for examples in which for instance a LM3875 is used as a high gain OL output stage and in which a high performance opamp is used for feedback. Can't find it (yet)

superR said:
What if my amplfier/plant is stable and the controller is stable, then the overall amp should be stable too
If only servo loops were that simple! An open-loop amplifier is (usually) stable. A pair of resistors is stable. Put them together and you have a loop which might not be stable.

I think you will find that this method is rarely used because it is difficult to get it right, so people use simpler methods.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
@Ourobos
Feedforward would be like this;
System had fransferfunction G. The controller would have transferfucntion 1/G. That would make the overall transferfunction 1. In other words, the reference and output would be identical.
@DF96
What if my amplfier/plant is stable and the controller is stable, then the overall amp should be stable too but I share your thoughts on this.

I am still looking for examples in which for instance a LM3875 is used as a high gain OL output stage and in which a high performance opamp is used for feedback. Can't find it (yet)

Google 'paX amplifier'.

jan didden

diyAudio - Search Results

will get you to some of my posts on Black's Feedforward - aka Quad's Current Dumping

which seems to be close to your idea, http://digilander.libero.it/paeng/feedforward_concepts.htm is good high level introduction

there are composite/multiloop series conection of "good" op amp input with global feedeback wrapped around a bigger PA or Chip amp - there the keywords would be "multiloop", "active feedbck", many versions of "error correction"

Last edited:
%JCX
I like the idea of figure 4 of your "concepts"-website. I'm just not sure how that would be implemented in practice. Food for thought.
Escamotages2.gif

that's not my website, but several of my posts/sims here at diyaudio show the impedance network used to separate the 2 amps by by frequency - the "coarse" amp is low pass connected to the load, the fist "corrrection" amplifier is high pass connected by the different L, R impedances Z3,4

sorry the earlier search must have given a dynamic link or otherwise got broken

try using google forum search: quad current dumping sim

post #39 here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...r-requirements-class-c-ab2-4.html#post2388517

post #10 here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...in-composite-op-amp-circuits.html#post2415805

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.