puzzled

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Amplifier Specification:
Maximum Output: 240 watts rms into 8 Ohms, 380 watts rms into 4 Ohms
Audio Frequency Linearity: 20 Hz – 20 kHz (+0, -0.2 dB)
Closed Loop Gain: 32 dB
Hum and Noise: -90 dB (input short circuit)
Output Offset Voltage: Less than 13 mV (input short circuit)
Phase Linearity: Less than 13 0 (10 Hz – 20 kHz)
Harmonic Distortion: Less than 0.007% at rated power
IM Distortion: Less than .009% at maximum power

Is this a simulation or physical circuit ?
Is this just when power is first applied ?
A schematic would be good ...

It would be worth checking stability anyway but even an otherwise stable amplifier can sometimes have problems when the power rails come up during the first few hundred mS.

dc

That looks like a simulation to me or is it a real life oscilloscope plot? From just looking at the part of the circuit that I can see it is a dual differential Hitachi based MOSFET amp. These normally would not cause the problems that you described. I know of several thousand out in the field.

If it is a real plot of the output I suspect from the first part that there are unbalanced current draw from the power supply or different time constants thus the two rails are not firing up in a balanced manner at start up but settles after a few cycles of power.

It would appear as if the problem have a time constant around 300 mS, so look for something in the power supply or decoupling caps that has a time constant around this value.

Also check the time the input differential amplifier bases are charged up, they may be charging at quite different rates which would be caused by a large NFB decoupling cap and a small input cap.

Some designers by-pass the NFB decoupling cap with a diode to stop DC voltages of more than 0.7V to develop across them.

That is my two cents worth. Good luck.

Last edited:
I strongly dislike the input stage. It is not DC coupled, and with single supply. When this stage starts, all Caps are discharged, and while doing it, it impulses a CD peak trough the final stage causing it to saturate, and causing the voltage sag. Review this first preamp, please. And the coupling to the discrete stage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.