BF871 and bf872 equivalent?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2006
The bf471 would do or you could try find 2sc3503 or 2sc2911. Its also a matter of where you want to purchase the parts from. If you can wait few days you could purchase via internet. In this case youd be able to find most of those bf parts at Nikko electronics in Surrey.

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I agree- MJ340/350 are not a good choice for the VAS. I used KSC3503 and KSA1381 from Fairchild and they work well. Cob is low which is important for VAS/TIS applications.

On my previous power amp I used BF471 and BF472 and had no problems, although they are driving an EF3, so the loading is quite light. Be warned, the models for these BF devices are very problematic for some reason. And, Philips (NXP) discontinued them quite a few years ago.

Please excuse the apearent ignorance but i have just consulted 6 different datasheet's for the MJE340 transistor and i didn't find any refference of COB for that transistor, so where did you took those figures from?

On the other hand, most of the transistors you so call best for the VAS have verry small IC so what if it must drive an BJT power output stage with more than 4 or 5 otput pair devices? no matter what buffer you will use it will still load the VAS on it's upper limmits. I think if enough current is given than that capacitance is of no consequence, the audio upper limmit is around 20Khz, and a good desighn of the VAS will push any distorsion above that, so if you cannot hear any, why bother fixing it?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Cob is one problem of MJE340/50 used as VAS. Ft is not so good either. The general picture is that they are too slow for a good VAS in any high rail amplifier where you expect high quality, low distortion audio. If you draw more than a few milliamps from any VAS transistor you will be rewarded with more distortion than is possible by buffering. Where multiple (BJT) devices are used, it always makes sense to use a triple output stage and thus there is no real problem with even tiny VAS currents.

That is exactly the reason for using these video driver transistors - they make the best quality BJT VAS devices available for the money.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.