Maplin 1kw mosfet amp build thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Every one

I have started a new thread to show you the construction stages of the Maplin 1KW mosfet amp that I am making, with hopefully all the feedback that I have learnt from my other builds on this site.

I have all eight mosfets mounted on the hetsink and the PSU PCB's have just come in fresh from the PCB makers, I will load up some pics tonight.

Just some specs for now:

RMS power 775 Watts RMS (4 ohm load)
Peak power 1.3Kw
Average power 650 Watts

Full power bandwidth - 10Hz - 50kHz
Slewing rate = 24v/us
damping factor = 110 (4 ohm load)
Distortion = 0.2% at 1Khz (90% full power)
input sen = 775 mv (0db) into 30k for rated output

The details can be found in the Maplin electronic magazine March to May 1988

design is full mono block (1000va mains transformer)

regards

Nick

Last edited:
Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi

Please find some pictures of the heat sink assembly for one channel, as I said before I have built these before, and have been 100% reliable and sound just as good as any Marantz gear I used to own.

Sometimes when people build these amplifiers they do not pay enough attention to the detail or just don't know what they are doing and their construction skills are not mature enough.

Also people on this site just spend to much time theorising, or just be armchair critics but never make anything. Sometimes its better just to make the thing and trust you ears etc ... this was how JLH used to work.
Anyway enough ramblings from me, have a look at the heat sink assembly, this was the one I made years ago. This will be stripped down and rebuilt all the mosfets are 2SK176 AND 2SJ56 etc.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

regards

Nick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.