DIY Project - Nytech CPA602 today ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gentlemen,

while recapping my old Nytech Amps CPA602's we decided to bring the Amps to the state of the art from today. I already started to design an new housing pink fish media - View Single Post - Recapping of Nytech CPA 602 and to design a new PSU board.

Any further Tips and suggestions how to improve the old Nytech in the ghost of Mr. Hay are warmly welcome ...

The idea is, to design mono-blocks based on the nytech Amp.

Help is appreciated;)

I should have them all - including the nexus, the x-overs and the tuner. I was once repairing those amps for my country for some time. I should scan them and post them somewhere, but that is a lot of work due to the oversized plans maybe. Please remind me if I keep on forgetting..

I do not have the schematic of the CPA602s, although I think there is little difference to the CA252s. Do you have them?

I have the schematics for the 602 in the latest design with the tumb Reduktion circut and I have the schematics of the 252. The "S"-Edition I dont have ...

Would be wunderfull If you can scan the ION's it and pm it to me ...

Grüße aus dem Ruhrgebiet

Gentlemen .....

Some steps are already done and I'm very interested in your feedback, comments and your further ideas ....

I designed new housings for the new CPA 602-2012.

rcxTR.jpg

pdQIc.jpg

There is also a new designed PSU PCB:

1iAlp.jpg

The PSU PCB will fit also in the original CPA602 housing. I have three of them and all will get a new PSU-PCB with two 120VA 58V Toroids. They have a diameter of 92mm and will fit into the original housing. Then I have CPA 602's in complete Mono-Design :eek:

And the Block Layout for the new housings is also available:

6sLT2.jpg

The idea is now, to prepare new PA-Boards which can be used also in the original 602 and my new housing.

Before I do this, I want to optimize the circuits. The original one I transfered into Eagle. Here are the orginal schematics. Please look for failures ...I'm sure there are some ....

OoN7k.jpg

Things I discussed with alohka and already changed are:

Ceramic Cap's: All ceramic caps were changed to Foil and Styroflex. I used WIMA FKP's with 1% and Vishay Roederstein MKP's 1%.

Cap #5 was changed to 470µF. This is the value the later Ion Obelisk had for this cap ....

Output Caps: I have already 4700µF 63V Axial Caps in my 602's. My idea is to implement an option into the PCB to use 5 Radial cap's instead of the orginal axial. What I found so far are Nichicon FW 2200 µF 63V. Maybe there are better one .... This will only work in the new housings; enough place will be available. Maybe this will work also in the original housing ... the 2200µF have a diameter of 18mm and a high of 35 mm .... I have to find out.

This are the Cap's I want to use:

oqqkJ.jpg

I replaced also the both Piher with Trimmer from Vishay:
VR1 - 100k: Vishay Trimpot T93 YA - 100k
VR2 - 220: Vishay Trimpot T93 YA - 220

This is what I did so far. The schematics are transfered and nex step is the routing. Before this, your ideas to improve the logic and the components are warmly welcome ...

Regards from Germany

A very nice project (and a very rare restauration project too)! I'd love to hear the results at one stage...

Usually 2200yF is enough for a reasonable corner frequency. The ION Nexus and the bigger Obelisk 3X used 10000yF instead, as did Nelson Pass with several of the Zen Amps, but I was never sure if this was a real necessity. I would rather recommend a reasonable combination between psu caps and output caps. That could be about 10000yF on the psu and 4700yF at the output.
And: A somewhat tailored corner frequency could probably help to get even more bass out of the speakers (f.e. with certain closed box designs and some smaller bassreflex speakers). It therefore makes sense to adjust the value of the output caps to the speakers.

How will you drive your amps (preamp/crossover)?

A very nice project (and a very rare restauration project too)! I'd love to hear the results at one stage...

Usually 2200yF is enough for a reasonable corner frequency. The ION Nexus and the bigger Obelisk 3X used 10000yF instead, as did Nelson Pass with several of the Zen Amps, but I was never sure if this was a real necessity. I would rather recommend a reasonable combination between psu caps and output caps. That could be about 10000yF on the psu and 4700yF at the output.

On my new Dual Rail Powwer Supply I will have 9400µF for each Channel - 18.800µF for both. Does this mean that ~10000µF by channel on the PA board is ok? Even considering whether it is a real necessity ;)

Why not. :)

Did you make a new case for the crossover and how did you power it?

No .... I have the intention to do it ... the new housings look really nice :D

I used the old housing and the old PSU. But I replaced the both cap's on the existing PSU board by 5 1000µF 63V Nichicon FG each.

sddzU.jpg

On the XOver I replaced also the 10µF Rubycon Non Polars by ELNA Silmic II 10µF 50V. I tried also Nichicon ES BiPolars but I did not like it ....

Ah, the good old Nytech days...
Although your system is definitely one of the very last on this planet...

Can you open your preamp and post a close-up of the pcbs? I think there is some possibility for upgrade(revamp) if not already done.

Here they are ..... (little bit unsharp, from my iPhone ...)

GegFa.jpg

M6pxm.jpg

mwoc1.jpg

ob8JS.jpg

I have a CA252 housing with Toroid available. Maybe I can use it to improve the CP112.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Before I do this, I want to optimize the circuits. The original one I transfered into Eagle. Here are the orginal schematics. Please look for failures ...I'm sure there are some ....This is what I did so far. The schematics are transfered and nex step is the routing. Before this, your ideas to improve the logic and the components are warmly welcome ...
Yes, there are several serious problems with the schematic. It is strange nobody has commented yet. I presume you found the errors some time ago as the labelling of connections is wrong with 0V to the positive rail, -80V only to the VAS positive, no supply to the output 0V rail, just speaker return. There is no power (conventionally) at all to the input stage! :eek:

Perhaps you can correct that before considering a PCB or modifications to the original.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.