Dx Super A - a module to be coupled to Dx amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
post19 pic3
The rightmost BD139 is shown with leadouts of ebc This cannot be correct.
All To126 devices have the reverse lead outs of To220. The lead outs are as shown for the left most BD139 bce (viewed from back face) , or when viewed from the front (printed) face ecb.

No problem..he did the way i have asked him to do.

He is a good friend...but he dislike to put components in vertical...this is our main fight and this heheheh is because i knew he would not like it.... the hehehehe is a little bit sadic and a little bit shy....he knows what not a real laugh.

Communications using words are not perfect, reason why i use audio messages and video messages to communicate better.... only typing letters is confused as people can understand in many different ways.

Yes, i could already see the mistake in the BD139 ....i just cannot fix that now because i am at work and i have no image editor available...latter i will correct that.

regards,

Carlos

Inside the green square there's an error fixed.

Be happy folks...enjoy this circuit...for sure you gonna love it.

I am not fan of class A...made for you that love the stuff.... sound is better at low volumes, but heat is much more than i can stand for.

My place is hot.... we are in winter time.... now a days we are having 23 degrées celsius....not a good idea to face two channels with huge heatsinks at 55 degrées celsius or more... total of 50 watts of power dissipation iddle.

Well.... people from cold places can use this kind of circuit to keep their coffee hot.

If you are in cold places, and use to listen at low power (max of 5 watts each channel) then this one is for you, because the sound is really awesome.... despite i do think class A "eats" a little of treble..but we can compensate in tone controls or into speaker crossover, home acoustics and other tricks can be applied.... there are several resources to compensate the small lack of high end treble... only the low level high end treble seems mufled.... high frequencies at high volumes i could not perceive anything.... well...this is not this circuit i am showing you.... everytime i have tried class A i have perceived the same effect...not a defect of my circuit.... if this is a defect and not an effect, belong to class A amplifiers in general. (my opinion)

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Mistake fixed.jpg
    Mistake fixed.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
Here you have exploded view from Herman

This way i am reaching the end of my work here in this thread...i have only to publish the adjustment steps and then i will take care of my new project.

The DxXs .... the Excess machine.... hard to kill... almost undestructable.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Exploded view from Herman.jpg
    Exploded view from Herman.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 296
  • Another vision without transparency.jpg
    Another vision without transparency.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
Herman offered us a little bit bigger board version having thicker copper tracks

He is worried about thin copper tracks lift ftom the fiberglass board when receiving heat from soldering iron.... i do think his concerns are fair.

Here you have them

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Dx Super A - Ray X vision thick trac.pdf
    34.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Dx Super A - thick copper tracks.pdf
    8.1 KB · Views: 87
  • Dx Super A - upper view thick track board.pdf
    24.4 KB · Views: 99
Zimmer, a Brazilian, have asked gerbers to produce Dx Blame ST boards

Because he wants to give a try in the Dx Super A and do not want to mess with his already built amplifiers.... also he wants to compare.

This way he asked gerbers and made an offer to provide pcboards to Brazilians interested to buy at cost price.... he knows that 30 pcboards cost much more than 50 pcboards....so, as much he order the lowest gonna be the price.

If you are interested, then go to his email adress and ask him if he can provide you pcboards.... i am not sure if he can (paypall) but you can make a try if you are interested.

These boards are no more available, more than 200 sets where produced and distributed and some guys could not have them even in Brasil...then we stop to order these boards and we have started the Supercharged blue boards order.

I am just introducing you to Fabio, details will be between you and Mr. Zimmer.

He is from South of my country.... a German descendent ..... we call them kraut here.

imap.eletro@gmail.com

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Dx Blame ST - Brazilian green boards.jpg
    Dx Blame ST - Brazilian green boards.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
BOARDS

Because he wants to give a try in the Dx Super A and do not want to mess with his already built amplifiers.... also he wants to compare.

This way he asked gerbers and made an offer to provide pcboards to Brazilians interested to buy at cost price.... he knows that 30 pcboards cost much more than 50 pcboards....so, as much he order the lowest gonna be the price.

If you are interested, then go to his email adress and ask him if he can provide you pcboards.... i am not sure if he can (paypall) but you can make a try if you are interested.

These boards are no more available, more than 200 sets where produced and distributed and some guys could not have them even in Brasil...then we stop to order these boards and we have started the Supercharged blue boards order.

I am just introducing you to Fabio, details will be between you and Mr. Zimmer.

He is from South of my country.... a German descendent ..... we call them kraut here.

imap.eletro@gmail.com

regards,

Carlos

Who wants boards, write to me, my english is bad, but i can understand...

Regards.

Zimmer or Kraut... hehehehehehe

Module Dx Super A adjustments to make it work together the Dx Blame ST

How to connect and adjust the Dx Super A together Dx Blame ST

1 – Remove the BD139 bias transistor out from de Dx Blame ST
amplifier pcboard..
2 – Remove the bias trimpot from the Dx Blame ST amplifier
3 – Install the Dx Super A pcboard into the heatsink not forgetting
to place insulators to the BD139 transistor and also insulating
material (paper, plastic, cardboard or rubber) to avoid Super A
pcboard to make short against the heatsink.
4 – Into the Dx Super A pcboard run out wires from Q3 colector
(BC546), also run a wire from Q2 colector (BC556) and also
run a wire from the NFB point (joint spot of 1N4148 diodes)
5 – From the Dx Super A pcboard pick the wire that comes from
Q3 colector and solder the free extreme to the spot you had
previously, the Dx Blame ST original bais transistor collector
connection
6 – Pick the wire that comes from Q2 colector (Dx Super A board)
and solder it into the spot you had, previously, the Dx Blame
original bias transistor emitter.
7 – Adjust your Dx Super A bias trimpot to the suggested resistive
value o 1000 ohms
8 – Now install protective resistors into your power supply rails,
in series, and connect DC meters over the resistor’s extreme
leads in order to pick voltage drop that will be developed there
while bias current will be flowing through these resistors….If
you want a suggestion, then use 10 ohms/10 watts resistor….
despite almost any low value will fit…you have to divide the
Dc voltage you read by the resistor ohms value to obtain the
actual current.
9 – Now switch power on and measure the voltage drop, it should
from 2 to 3.5 volts … then re adjust in order to achieve the the
suggested that is 300 milliamperes.
10- Monitor your heatsink temperature, your heat will be in
between 14 to 24.5 watts, this represents, already, a good
ammount of heat… it is alike a 24.5 soldering iron heating
heatsinks… now push your amplifier hard playing it full
power in order to make it hot, then readjust your current while
your heatsink is hot (more than 55 degrées Celsius)

... to be continued.

regards,

Carlos

How to adjust the Dx Super A module to work together the Dx Blame ST amplifier

11- Next time you switch your Power on, having already your heatsinks into
the environment temperature, then you will notice the current will drop
down to a lower value… this current will be slowly increasing when
your amplifier goes reaching the normal operational temperature that
use to be very hot…then the current will reach the value you have
adjusted while hot…. If temperature goes increasing without stop, then
you may have a too small heatsink or may need help of a fan to keep it
under control…I have not perceived the unit go increasing temperature
till the self destruction, but, anyway, I will think how to use a NTC to
avoid this to happens even while using small heatsinks... or the absence
of a fan

regards,

Carlos

Then they are not To126 nor To220.
The standard is set. If some devices do otherwise then they are not to the standard and cannot and must not be referred as if they were to the standard, i.e. if the pin out is not to To126 or To220, then they are not To126 nor To220.

You will find many manufacturers use their own coding for the package types. These codings do not use "To126" or "To220". One has to refer to the manufacturer's literature to find what their unique coding means for that package eg. Toshiba use 2-8H1A, 2-10R1A, 2-10U1A.

Last edited:
I have overheated the amplifier while using the Super A module

In this video you see the results:

Dx Super A operates hot - YouTube

Audio was cristal clear.... distortion is due to digital camera electret cartridge microphone saturation due to high levels of audio reaching it..almost 50 watts RMS at 1 meter distance.

So, this is the end of my hard work here...all informs posted, schematic, pcboard and video tests published..now it is up to you to build or not to build...needing uncle charlie you have just to call me here or to send email messages to nanabrother@hotmail.com

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
If you want to try the Dx Super A and have no pcboards

Then you have Zimmer offering boards directly from Brazil

The Supercharged blue boards will cost 7 USD each one.....naturally you have shipment to include.... Zimmer said he has paypall.

I do not accept orders.... Zimmer is the one is receiving orders.... go directly and straight to Zimmer.

Boards are good to assemble four different models, including Dx Blame ST....you can see details here:

DX Blame Amplifiers - Carlos Mergulhão

Zimmer email:

imap.eletro@gmail.com

regards,

Carlos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.