NAD C370 distorted sound on both channels

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I was hoping someone had come across this problem before, but after searching the forum it seems they haven't.

The symptoms are the volume is very low and distorted, the main four caps look like they stained and the advice from the NAD Salon was to replace these with new capacitors.

Could this be the source of the problem, I'm pretty handy and would take on the repair myself - really miss the sound quality after moving to a Denon AVR :(

Lee,

Can you upload some pictures ? I suspect the caps have vented, a common fault in earlier editions of this model until NAD changed them to higher temp variants. The original version were 85c & NAD changed them to 105c .... These amps run HOT!

Has it ever been repaired before ?

I have repaired several of these all with the same fault in the protection circuit - Some wouldnt turn on & those that did sounded like you describe...

First two pictures show the protections circuit, third is the schematic. You need to replace all of the capacitors on this board with 105c variants & move the diode to the other side of the board (shown in picture 2) to prevent it cooking the caps again.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Whether this is the cause of your fault I cannot say but if its not been done it certainly will need doing for the sake of £2 in parts.

Best regards.

Hi Istari,

I replaced those capacitors today and moved the diode - it's resolved the power delay issue, used to take about 5 minutes to come on (one fault sorted) the distortion remains however. I may try replacing the four large capacitors which are 10000uf 80v and check the IC's although I'd imagine it'd be more likely for one channel to go than both at the same time if it was an IC issue - little more googling I think.

Sounded so hopeful, clicked on immediately :)

Thank you for the fix.

Lee,

Colin42

Hi, I'm new here and would be grateful for some feedback about the distortion issue in both channels for the C370. I have changed the 2 x 10000 uF and 2200uF and the 1000uF capacitors and no change. I suspect the low noise amp modules as there is a lot of crackling when tapped lightly with the handle of a screwdriver.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.