Another Adcom Amp Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've recapped a couple of GFA-555 amps with Panasonic FC series and I'm getting ready to do a pair of GFA-545 II amps.

In all of these, there is a 4.7uF cap in parallel with each bias trimmer pot. I'm thinking of replacing these with Wima MKS 2 Metallized Polyester (PET)
Capacitors:

MKS_2.jpg

Any thoughts from the experts as to whether this is a good idea from the standpoint of reliability and sound? It seems like a good idea to replace the electrolytics with something more long-lived, but I don't know if there are other characteristics that might make this swap less than completely successful.

The point of the cap is to prevent the signal from modulating the bias.

I would use a larger value, you may want to listen to it before putting it back together for good.

I have seen Nelson Pass use 4.7µF, 10µF, and 220µF in that location in some of his designs.

The point of the cap is to prevent the signal from modulating the bias.

I would use a larger value, you may want to listen to it before putting it back together for good.

I have seen Nelson Pass use 4.7µF, 10µF, and 220µF in that location in some of his designs.

I agree with the bigger cap principle here. Rod Elliott, who is usually a reasonable fellow, also likes big caps across the bias circuit, and claims it makes a difference:

Headphone Amplifier

About halfway down the page, under Description.

Last edited:

Thanks for the replies.

I'm hesitant to second-guess Nelson Pass when it comes to component values (I view using improved quality parts of the same rating as being a more conservative approach I am comfortable with).

Since he used different values of caps (as well as different values of trimmer pots) in different amps, I have to wonder why. I can't believe cost was the driving factor, given that small value el caps are pennies each to a manufacturer. I also doubt that the choice was made randomly.

P.S. I'm not one of the listen and judge types. I know too much about human psychology to believe that I, alone in the human race, am immune to expectation bias.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.