Do you like listening to distortion?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've always wondered if there is any point in comparing distortion levels from amps and equipment... isnt the distortion from the actual lound speaker often times 10x higher (or more)?

There are 2 points. First, is it a pleasant or unpleasant distortion? Second, fix the speaker first!

If the speaker has unpleasant distortion, amp distortion doesn't matter much. If the speaker is low distortion (or has a pleasant distortion), you have to choose the amp carefully, but sometimes, any good amp will do.

Even incredibly good speakers have far higher distortion levels than the equipment that drives them ... thats kind of what i was getting at. There is nothing to fix.

There are 2 points. First, is it a pleasant or unpleasant distortion? Second, fix the speaker first!

If the speaker has unpleasant distortion, amp distortion doesn't matter much. If the speaker is low distortion (or has a pleasant distortion), you have to choose the amp carefully, but sometimes, any good amp will do.

Even incredibly good speakers have far higher distortion levels than the equipment that drives them ... thats kind of what i was getting at. There is nothing to fix.

I think you misunderstood me. The key is about UNPLEASANT distortion (or fatigue) that can be caused by crossover, or the driver mechanics. "Fixing" means fix the crossover, or change the driver.

As a clue, distortion due to paper cone (compression) is "high" but pleasant. Distortion due to stiff material (like in high end stuffs) is sometimes low but very unpleasant.

I see, I thought you meant distortion in general as a measured number. Well i'm not sure I have ever heard any distortion from any amps other than hard clipping - some say tubes make some extra distortion but I have not really spent time to listen to them.

I think you misunderstood me. The key is about UNPLEASANT distortion (or fatigue) that can be caused by crossover, or the driver mechanics. "Fixing" means fix the crossover, or change the driver.

As a clue, distortion due to paper cone (compression) is "high" but pleasant. Distortion due to stiff material (like in high end stuffs) is sometimes low but very unpleasant.

Well i'm not sure I have ever heard any distortion from any amps other than hard clipping - some say tubes make some extra distortion but I have not really spent time to listen to them.

I would prefer saying that distortion is not "heard" but "perceived".

When you build an amp, try to set the bias by ears until you cannot perceive the crossover distortion. This is very easy. There are many others that are more difficult for ordinary ears, or it requires experience.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
too young?

Got an Atlas? Luxembourg is a fair distance for reception from parts of the Netherlands, so AM signals fade with ionospheric conditions - Just like they would interstate across Canada or anywhere.

This is how analog radio reception has been for a century and like the man says, It could be with fond nostalgia that one might recall this very popular European broadcaster.

Got an Atlas? Luxembourg is a fair distance for reception from parts of the Netherlands, so AM signals fade with ionospheric conditions - Just like they would interstate across Canada or anywhere.

This is how analog radio reception has been for a century and like the man says, It could be with fond nostalgia that one might recall this very popular European broadcaster.

Okay AM. well that explains it. No I don't have an atlas but I have been to the Netherlands.
Being across the pond I have no knowledge of this broadcaster. Besides I switched to FM mid 70s. I didn't even know what payola was until the early 80s.

Forgive my ignorance.

David.

fading

Perhaps you can elaborate on this for the folks on the other side of the world.
Radio Luxembourg??

It was a very popular radio station in the 60s and 70s.
For more info please look here , here and here.
As in its heydays the power of the MW transmitter was subsequently increased to even 1.3MW, sometimes, at night, the station was even heard in the US, of course with a lot of fading.

Maybe I'm just too young.
That's not impossible. ;)

Cheers,
E.

It was a very popular radio station in the 60s and 70s.
For more info please look here , here and here.
As in its heydays the power of the MW transmitter was subsequently increased to even 1.3MW, sometimes, at night, the station was even heard in the US, of course with a lot of fading.

That's not impossible. ;)

Cheers,
E.

Wow looking at those pictures kind of makes one wonder why people are worried about the tiny little emissions off smart meters.

David.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.