Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2012, 06:20 AM   #101
Art M is offline Art M  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SF Bay Area
Output banana posts making contact to
PCB pads via compression using threads
and a nut (and some Green gunk) ?

A real No-No, PCB materials have plastic
flow under compression, soldered inserts
needed.

Output inductor held together with TyWraps ?

This is presented as Quality construction
and Design ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 06:23 AM   #102
wahab is offline wahab  Algeria
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: algeria/france
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
For mosfets, 1 pair of 20A devices for every 60W.
Bonsai , i agree on the whole of your post but this point can hardly
be followed considering the existing devices caracteristics.

The Hitachi laterals 2SJ50/2SK135 or their TOP3 siblings 2SJ162/2SK1058
are rated 100W/7A and i used three pairs of the formers in a 2 X 100W/8R
amp that was used for stage monitor and often with 4R loads at full power
in overheated ambiances even it had no cooling fan and heatspreaders were
somewhat undersized for such a load , yet it did survive more than a decade
of such treatments before i retired it for home hifi use , still fully functionnal
after 26 years.

Such laterals fets are extremely rugged and obviously can withstand
more aggressive conditions than equaly power sized bipolars , the 20A/60W
requirement being inadequate since there s no such devices that have Id max
that high , rather the rule 40W output/100W TDP (in fact 200W since
we talk of a pair) should prove reliable enough for laterals.

Last edited by wahab; 14th June 2012 at 06:28 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 06:43 AM   #103
diyAudio Member
 
east electronics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Athens GREECE
Quote:
Originally Posted by techbiker View Post
Sakis, pro audio amplifiers do not always sacrifice audio quality for a surplus of power or an increase in durability.

Please see the schematic and service manual for my Com-tech under the "Com-tech series" on this web page: Discontinued Amplifier Products

See CT400 for the schematic and CT400B for the service manual.

According to the following website, anything above 16,000uf in filter capacitance for a 250 watt amplifier into 4 ohms is really unnecessary. Elliott Sound Products - Linear Power Supply Design While this is the ratio that the author recommends, a 4,700uf capacitor filtering 5 amps of current is still perfectly sufficient (on his 100 watt amplifier)! Please see the tests that he has conducted to reach these conclusions.

Why on earth would Perreaux put 30,000 (or 60,000?) microfarads on each channel of a 60 + 60 watt amplifier? Wouldn't it have been more cost-effective to invest that money in other areas of the amplifier when the extra filter capacitance isn't doing anything? I would rather a company invest this wasted money in more features or higher quality components elsewhere.

obviously you are confused also ...

Perreaux uses 60.000 mfd for a maximum power of 2*350W I use also 60.000 mfd for my P3A amplifier but this is a personal over design idea .

I will not continue to argue on this matter since practice has proven you wrong most of manufacturers go with more or less with the profussion logic even the pro ones
__________________
SERVICE ΕΝΙΣΧΥΤΩΝ ΚΑΙ ΙΑΠΩΝΙΚΩΝ ΜΗΧΑΝΗΜΑΤΩΝ ΗΧΟΥ www.eastelectronics.gr
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 06:44 AM   #104
diyAudio Member
 
east electronics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Athens GREECE
Quote:
Originally Posted by godfrey View Post
Did you have to mount all the electrolytics vertically to get such a long life?

No completely replace them with radial vertical capacitors higher voltage aand temperature since the pcb can also feature that

Smart kit capacitors was already 10 year old stock at the time
__________________
SERVICE ΕΝΙΣΧΥΤΩΝ ΚΑΙ ΙΑΠΩΝΙΚΩΝ ΜΗΧΑΝΗΜΑΤΩΝ ΗΧΟΥ www.eastelectronics.gr
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 06:48 AM   #105
diyAudio Member
 
east electronics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Athens GREECE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
In general, yes. But I also think general construction is important. You can Make great circuits, but if the execution is crap, the end result in most cases will also not be too good!

that phrase actually points out the meaning of the all thread ....

kind regards
sakis
__________________
SERVICE ΕΝΙΣΧΥΤΩΝ ΚΑΙ ΙΑΠΩΝΙΚΩΝ ΜΗΧΑΝΗΜΑΤΩΝ ΗΧΟΥ www.eastelectronics.gr
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 07:09 AM   #106
diyAudio Member
 
east electronics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Athens GREECE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art M View Post
Output banana posts making contact to
PCB pads via compression using threads
and a nut (and some Green gunk) ?

A real No-No, PCB materials have plastic
flow under compression, soldered inserts
needed.

Output inductor held together with TyWraps ?

This is presented as Quality construction
and Design ?
that is correct but we talk about double threads and nuts of 8mm diameter screw facing a dual layer gold plated and extremely thick pcb ...you will not get more contact than that ever

As about the coil when you have a coil of 30mm tube diameter , 2.5 mm of thickness , and 16 turns in 3 rows the coil will actually support it shelf without any problems first because of the thickness the straps is just an extra precaution
__________________
SERVICE ΕΝΙΣΧΥΤΩΝ ΚΑΙ ΙΑΠΩΝΙΚΩΝ ΜΗΧΑΝΗΜΑΤΩΝ ΗΧΟΥ www.eastelectronics.gr
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 07:23 AM   #107
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
In general, yes. But I also think general construction is important. You can Make great circuits, but if the execution is crap, the end result in most cases will also not be too good!
Agreed
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 07:49 AM   #108
Bonsai is online now Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member
 
Bonsai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Taipei, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakis View Post
that is correct but we talk about double threads and nuts of 8mm diameter screw facing a dual layer gold plated and extremely thick pcb ...you will not get more contact than that ever

As about the coil when you have a coil of 30mm tube diameter , 2.5 mm of thickness , and 16 turns in 3 rows the coil will actually support it shelf without any problems first because of the thickness the straps is just an extra precaution
Yes, I am also using tie wraps to secure the output inductor in my e-Amp - works very well.
__________________
bonsai
Amplifier Design and Construction for MUSIC! http://hifisonix.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 07:51 AM   #109
Bonsai is online now Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member
 
Bonsai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Taipei, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahab View Post
Bonsai , i agree on the whole of your post but this point can hardly
be followed considering the existing devices caracteristics.

The Hitachi laterals 2SJ50/2SK135 or their TOP3 siblings 2SJ162/2SK1058
are rated 100W/7A and i used three pairs of the formers in a 2 X 100W/8R
amp that was used for stage monitor and often with 4R loads at full power
in overheated ambiances even it had no cooling fan and heatspreaders were
somewhat undersized for such a load , yet it did survive more than a decade
of such treatments before i retired it for home hifi use , still fully functionnal
after 26 years.

Such laterals fets are extremely rugged and obviously can withstand
more aggressive conditions than equaly power sized bipolars , the 20A/60W
requirement being inadequate since there s no such devices that have Id max
that high , rather the rule 40W output/100W TDP (in fact 200W since
we talk of a pair) should prove reliable enough for laterals.
Maybe I underate the mosfets a bit.

I need to watch out because Bob will be here any minute to set me straight as well.

;-)
__________________
bonsai
Amplifier Design and Construction for MUSIC! http://hifisonix.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 09:24 AM   #110
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member
 
a.wayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Front Row Center
@Bonsai,

I have never seen an "highend" amplifier with less than 50000 uf in the PSU , could you name one ...?

Are there advantages in say running 100k + in the PSU , not just theory but from your practical experiences , have u heard negative sonics from doing so...

Regards ,
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Make a car amplifier HeadHunter Car Audio 20 20th October 2013 04:43 PM
Do you want to submitted make an amplifier? adorn751 Solid State 0 4th April 2012 05:35 PM
i want to make a sub woofer amplifier smartguysforeve Subwoofers 3 22nd March 2006 01:07 PM
proper soundcard to amplifier cables Myren Everything Else 0 21st December 2001 06:48 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:21 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2