Power Amplifier - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2012, 03:54 PM   #11
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieandDad View Post
If you wanted a decent sound you would buy decent speakers.

PA speakers are designed for a specific purpose, Hi-Fi isn't one of them.

Any half decent Class AB or Class D amp will suit even the best PA speakers.
Do you think these are Hi-Fi speakers??
JBL :: Product
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 03:56 PM   #12
diyAudio Member
 
KatieandDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: UK
Please dont fall into the trap of trying to get Hi-Fi sound out of rubbish PA speakers, it just doesn't happen. PA speakers are designed to throw sound not to reproduce it accurately.

At a guess they are worth about $50 each.

I wouldn't buy JBL either, BOSE aren't much better. All OK as PA speakers but not real Hi-Fi.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 04:20 PM   #13
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieandDad View Post
Please dont fall into the trap of trying to get Hi-Fi sound out of rubbish PA speakers, it just doesn't happen. PA speakers are designed to throw sound not to reproduce it accurately.

At a guess they are worth about $50 each.

I wouldn't buy JBL either, BOSE aren't much better. All OK as PA speakers but not real Hi-Fi.
Are Hi-Fi speakers are available in 12 inch or 18 inch size speakers
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 04:20 PM   #14
diyAudio Member
 
Nico Ras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: East Coast of South Africa
Hi Charles,

I am sorry if some members did not rave about your choice of speakers, but they are right in the sense that PA speakers are meant for sound reinforcement, not necessarily accurate high fidelity. They are also right in suggesting to purchase a PA amplifier, which at 400 watt per channel is usually not that expensive as KatieandDad mentions.

Consider a Behringer EPQ900 advertised at AMAZON.COM for only $250. For that amount of money you will hardly buy a power transformer for a class AB amp capable of same 400 watt/ch. Also have a look on e-bay for brand names.
__________________
Kindest regards
Nico
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 04:36 PM   #15
diyAudio Member
 
Nico Ras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: East Coast of South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestpt View Post
Are Hi-Fi speakers are available in 12 inch or 18 inch size speakers
Yes you do find larger "hi-fi" driver units and you may find some bargain, excellent performing vintage loudspeakers on e-bay that will outperform very many modern high-end boxes.

Again there is nothing wrong with your choice of speakers, if they are to your taste in sound then it is as hi-fi as any other hi-fi speaker.

That is what music enjoyment is all about, it is personal and other people's views and tastes are not necessarily the same as yours.

Some might claim one speaker brand to be incredibly accurate and faithful while for the next person it may be plain rubbish.

If you heard those speakers and you like them then buy them, if you are buying cheap speakers out of a catalogue then be careful. A list of specifications for a loudspeaker has absolutely nothing to do with what they sound like.
__________________
Kindest regards
Nico

Last edited by Nico Ras; 11th June 2012 at 04:40 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 04:38 PM   #16
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico Ras View Post
Hi Charles,

I am sorry if some members did not rave about your choice of speakers, but they are right in the sense that PA speakers are meant for sound reinforcement, not necessarily accurate high fidelity. They are also right in suggesting to purchase a PA amplifier, which at 400 watt per channel is usually not that expensive as KatieandDad mentions.

Consider a Behringer EPQ900 advertised at AMAZON.COM for only $250. For that amount of money you will hardly buy a power transformer for a class AB amp capable of same 400 watt/ch. Also have a look on e-bay for brand names.
But when this amp comes to India the selling price would be doubled

for 400watt amplifier require 50v 10amperes would be sufficient this transformer costs 2000rupees in India thats not equal to 14000rupees
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 04:44 PM   #17
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Scottish Borders
A 400W amplifier requires a transformer rated for 400VA to 800VA for good and reliable operation.
If you have two channels of amplifier then you must double the transformer rating.

For 400W into 4r0 you need an output of 56Vpk and 14Apk.
The PSU must be able to meet a transient demand approaching 40Apk to get good performance.
For PA duty you will need a 45+45Vac transformer rated @ ~1500VA (~15Aac to 17Aac) for 400W+400W into 4r+4r.
__________________
regards Andrew T.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 04:50 PM   #18
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
A 400W amplifier requires a transformer rated for 400VA to 800VA for good and reliable operation.
If you have two channels of amplifier then you must double the transformer rating.

For 400W into 4r0 you need an output of 56Vpk and 14Apk.
The PSU must be able to meet a transient demand approaching 40Apk to get good performance.
For PA duty you will need a 45+45Vac transformer rated @ ~1500VA (~15Aac to 17Aac) for 400W+400W into 4r+4r.
Dear Andrew

could you please suggest me an amp to diy
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 04:54 PM   #19
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Scottish Borders
Decide what budget you have.
Then decide what you can afford to buy.
The amplifier part will likely only be about 10% of your total cost. You have to work out if you can afford the other 90%.

Buy a secondhand PA amplifier. They were built for PA duty.
__________________
regards Andrew T.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 04:59 PM   #20
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Decide what budget you have.
Then decide what you can afford to buy.
The amplifier part will likely only be about 10% of your total cost. You have to work out if you can afford the other 90%.

Buy a secondhand PA amplifier. They were built for PA duty.
I have decided to DIY powerful amp for PA duty for this you have to suggest me which amp to start the process
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Wire - Low Power Ultra High Perfromance (LPUHP) 16W Power Amplifier opc Solid State 638 8th September 2014 01:15 AM
LF: The Wire - Low Power Ultra High Perfromance (LPUHP) 16W Power Amplifier jtktam Swap Meet 0 3rd May 2012 09:59 AM
Rockford Fosgate Power 20001 bd amplifier power rating?? pachoorion Car Audio 8 8th May 2011 10:49 PM
Power transformers versus amplifier output power..what is your option? destroyer X Solid State 38 9th May 2009 05:23 PM
Amplifier 3000 Wats Rms Power + Smps Higcht Power Bestiality MARAVILLASAUDIO Class D 1 5th November 2004 04:06 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:14 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2