Mains seperation on PCB - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2003, 07:03 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Yeah...I'll second the no mains on PCB thought...seems dangerous...but many intergerated amps do it...and they are horrrs...not fingerproffed...of course they are not meant to be open and many have got a warning stated behind...but for the morons like us...
Old 13th October 2003, 10:17 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Excellent advice, thanks everyone.

It turns out the layout was a bit simpler than I expected. All of the traces are on the underside of the board, thick, short and well seperated. I had planned a MOV from the start, and the 'fisch paper' (I think I know the stuff you are referring to...) is a good idea and will be used.

The only last concern I have is the only live part left accessible to fingers (actually, MY fingers) is the fuse holders. Can I get PCB mount, fully insulated fuse holders?

Oh, regarding the MOV, am I right in thinking it should be placed after the fuses, so if it is triggered, the increased current will blow the fuses?

Adrian
Old 13th October 2003, 04:00 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I guess you could get those with a little plastic shroud over them...slightly translucent...if you know what I mean...as for fuse placement...yeah...I think it should be placed after the fuse...
Old 13th October 2003, 05:06 PM   #14
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by janneman

What if lightning strikes?
I think the PCB between the tracks is much safer than having then on the same side even with 10mm separation, where there is always the chance of dirt, moisture etc.
According to my pcb supplier 1.6 mm FR4 can take 50 kV across the glass fibre.

No risk to have the mains traces on both sides but beware of the creepage distance via the edges (at the end of the pcb).
Old 14th October 2003, 08:34 AM   #15
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

I forgot to mention that you should strive to have all "hot" traces so you won't be able to touch those, meaning that it's normally a good idea to have the traces on the solderside.
Old 15th October 2003, 05:32 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I've decided that the fuse holders will be the type that mount on the rear panel and you unscrew a cap to get access to the fuse. This removes the last of the problems with 'accessibility to the dangrous stuff'. All remaining mains voltages on the PCB are on the underside.

Just for interest, the reason I'm doing this is I'm building a 4 channel Leach amplifier, and I'm implementing a soft start circuit. It has two relays and a power resistor, One relay switches on the mains power to the power transformers, but via the 15 ohm power resistor. 1 second later, the other relay bypasses the resistor, allowing full power to the transformers. The relays (and several other functions) are controlled by a PIC microcontroller. The relays are, of course, suitably rated for mains voltages

Adrian

Hide this!Advertise here!