900 bucks to build an amp... suggestions plz ! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2003, 03:39 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 900 bucks to build an amp... suggestions plz !

Im new to the forums, but ive been trolling for some time now, and people defiantely seem to know what their talking about here, so I thought it would be a good place to ask this, ive built a few simple amps before, namely because I dont have the money to build anything really big, but a friend of mine is willing to put 900 bucks on the line and let me build him a Bass amp. so now Ive got 900 bucks to spend, this needs to get me a cab, with speakers, and obviously the amp, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what type of amp I should build. and possibly any schematics, if anyone needs mroe info on what im looking to build just say so, and ill post whatever youd like to know.
Old 12th October 2003, 06:23 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

You should set aside half for the amp...build the cab first...because the costs there are quite "predictable" when you go into the amp...you are bound to over buy...for the better...that is
Old 14th October 2003, 12:31 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

*******his shouldnt be in solid state***

^^^ Im looking to build a tube based amp ^^^

Thanks for that tip, ill defiantely keep that in mind when im deciding on the design. Im really having a tough time finding plans for building a tube based bass guitar amp, so if anyone has any ideas for that id really appreciate it, im looking for something that would put out around 150W, bass guitars, generally speaking produce tones down to about 41.20Hz (E1) and possibly even as low as 30.87Hz (B0) and all the plans that ive seen for tube based guitar amps seem to fall off around 80Hz, which definately isnt going to work out for this application, so once again if anyone has any even remotely relavent suggestions / ideas for a newb, id love to hear them.
Old 14th October 2003, 10:27 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Maybe a tube frontend and transitor backend. This will at least avoid the high cost of the output transformers.
Old 14th October 2003, 10:46 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yeah...while maintaining high-power...but try using MOSFETs instead of Bipolar transistors...they sound closest to "tube" stuff...from my experience and what others had said...it also of course depends on the circuit design...
Old 14th October 2003, 10:57 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Maybe a tube frontend and transitor backend. This will at least avoid the high cost of the output transformers.
That's the way many modern bass amps are made. Some also have selectable ss/tube stages.

Regards

Charles
Old 14th October 2003, 11:12 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Though none will have any distortion...hehe...whu wants distortion in bass?? But typically bass amps have to be made in a way that they respond well to low ends while not necessary being good on the highs...
Old 14th October 2003, 11:30 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aswethinkweis

Im really having a tough time finding plans for building a tube based bass guitar amp, so if anyone has any ideas for that id really appreciate it
Get a copy of "The Tube Amp Book" by Aspen Pittman . It's got circuit diagrams of just about every tube guitar & bass amp you've ever heard of. Highly recommended.

A 150W tube amp is going to be heavy, expensive, and LOUD. It's almost certainly overkill, especially if $900 includes the cost of cab.

Cheers
IH
Old 14th October 2003, 11:43 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Tazzy
Take a look at the attila on http://www.triodedick.com

The website is in dutch but I think Dick is more than willing to help you out.
Old 14th October 2003, 12:17 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
But typically bass amps have to be made in a way that they respond well to low ends while not necessary being good on the highs...
I can't agree on that one. A bass guitar's output spectrum is wider at both the lower- and the upper- end. There are more bass-cabs with tweeters than guitar-cabs with tweeters !

Good taste regarding bass-guitar sound means reproducing the full overtone spectrum !

Regards

Charles

Hide this!Advertise here!