Tweeter Class A Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At Nelson Pass site you should find an old ('80s?) 40w class-A amp project that many people used them for powering their tweeters until the late '90s.

That shouldn't have changed that much, as class A amps are still considered better sounding than all other classes. They are just not efficient, but at low power levels that shouldn't be such a big deal.

build, buy a kit, or DIY?

There are a few very nice DIY options, if you search here.

A bit depends on the sensitivity of your tweeter vs. the mid driver, and also the nature of your xover, plus the actual power handling of the tweeter... that will help determine what power range amp you need or want.

Also, consider a tube unit too... fwiw. Can sound wonderful done right.

The Pass forum and the First Watt site have some class A amps too...

_-_-bear

I am looking to buy a kit; I am not at a level that would allow me to build my own. I am good with a soldering iron and I do have the basic knowledge when it comes to electronic cirquits.

The tweeters and mids are the same used in the Focal Utopia EM. The crossover is a digital crossover built into the Onkyo TX-NR818; will upgrade to the pre/pro version when it is released in the fall.

You don't really need a massively powerful amp for the tweeters, and you won't notice any difference between class A or B. (JLH or Hiraga will be fine)
Build a class A for the midrange as that's where your hearing is most sensitive.
As a guide you want 150 Watts class B for the bass, 30 W class A for mids and 20W class B for the tweeters.
It can get more com[plicated than that as you can compare average versus peak power levels for the frequency bands where for the treble the ratio is very high, but for the time being try to keep it simple.

Neither JLH class A amp or Pass F5 style amps are suited to drive tweeters
since they have high distorsion ratios at high frequencies , quite higher
than usual AB class amps.

A good solution would be to use a proved AB amp kit and then bias it
in class A for the five first watts.

You don't need a lot of voltage drive for a 100dB/W tweeter in domestic listening.
You will need ~ double the voltage drive for a 94dB/W tweeter.
And double the voltage drive again, if you use an 88dB/W speaker.

From there I see two bits of information that must be researched:
What peak SPL will you expect from your tweeter?
What sensitivity will the tweeter have that you eventually want to drive?

Without that crucial data you and everyone else, can only guess.

Last edited:
There are not a lot of full kits on the market any longer.

You can find all the component parts:

PCBs with and without all or with key parts
Chassis - some prepunched for general amp building, some with heatsinks
PSB pcbs and components
hardware: jacks, wires, screws, nuts bolts, etc...

not hard to find this stuff on ebay or even here...

fwiw, I disagree about the class A vs AB and the abilities or sonics of the previously mentioned units... but class AB is ok too...

Also full kits will be somewhat expensive...

_-_-

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.