P3A-MORE UPGRADES - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2012, 12:01 PM   #11
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Default Another Idea...

The P3A performance is I think better with higher voltage rail. The problem is stability with difficult load. So how about increasing the supply voltage and doubling the output pairs.

Another CFP pairs can be added with the input taken from the VAS.
Old 9th June 2012, 12:25 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

to my ears there was no sonic difference while the P3A was working at 52+52 volts ...

The test have been made at the same setup same speakers same listening levels and same sources

Also there was no change from the original circuit except ltp that was formatted with a bit higher voltage semis

Yes correct if stabilized a second pair the way you describe it will be an interesting thing to listen to, i might give it a try

Kind regards
Old 9th June 2012, 12:44 PM   #13
effebi is offline effebi  Italy
diyAudio Member

As I am sure Sakis know, I was also playing a lot with P3A.
I agree that carefull choice (i.e. hfe) of the components, especially in the input stage will make a lot of difference.

I am not sure what Jay wants to say wih increased performance with high voltage, with all the due respect.
Surely if you go bejond 45V rails or you want to safely drive 4 ohms a second OP pair is desiderable.
But then, to double the drivers as well it looks to me a too radical solution. Otherwise at this point the choice is mainly how to arrange the OP Re, and we have seen different solutions and opinions about that.
All in all that will not be a P3A any more, I think.
Old 9th June 2012, 12:44 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakis View Post
to my ears there was no sonic difference while the P3A was working at 52+52 volts ...

The test have been made at the same setup same speakers same listening levels and same sources

Also there was no change from the original circuit except ltp that was formatted with a bit higher voltage semis
For every fixed circuit there is optimal voltage (and bias current). It means that for different supply voltage, the design (bias current for example) must be different. For original circuit, if I'm not mistaken, 36V is best.

The benefit of a regulator is that we can arrange the voltage drop to get the optimal voltage we want for the rail (not strictly dependent on transformer secondary).
Old 9th June 2012, 01:06 PM   #15
kroto is offline kroto  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kroto
Quote:
been trying many excluded from the process MJE series since sounded worst eventhough pretty rugged device, and realized that this process is seriously related to the choice of outputs ....For the record the best combination ever was the BD829-830 paired with 2SA1302-2SC3281...BD 139-140 with 2SA1943-2SC5200... obviously different combinations will produce different sonic signature.
http://sound.westhost.com/p3a-f1.gif[/

have you try to change R11 R12 to 270Ω.
& bypass D1 with cap?

Last edited by AJT; 12th June 2013 at 02:59 AM. Reason: rode does not like his schematics published elsewhere...link is okey...
Old 9th June 2012, 01:26 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by effebi View Post
As I am sure Sakis know, I was also playing a lot with P3A.
I agree that carefull choice (i.e. hfe) of the components, especially in the input stage will make a lot of difference.

I am not sure what Jay wants to say wih increased performance with high voltage, with all the due respect.
Surely if you go bejond 45V rails or you want to safely drive 4 ohms a second OP pair is desiderable.
But then, to double the drivers as well it looks to me a too radical solution. Otherwise at this point the choice is mainly how to arrange the OP Re, and we have seen different solutions and opinions about that.
All in all that will not be a P3A any more, I think.
Welcome my Italian friend

in cfp pairs it has been seen twice in the history of audio so far that when they double the outputs they also double the drivers ...The funny thing is that actually this also an Italian design the Alchemist forsetti....shame on you effebi you should have known better

the designer claims that double output and double driver provides extra punch tight sound and amazing drive abilities

worth looking at ...though i only wonder if the VAS circuit is good enough to drive that end especially if bootstrapped

To complete the idea one may think double the outs bit voltage more will be a nice achievement extra kick extra power all the benefits of bootstrap and sziklai but all this will be if stabilized without extra miller caps especially in the outputs since they are notorious sonic killers.

Yes though worth looking at .... will do in the feature and let you know ...

kind regards sakis

expecting also more ideas
thank you all so far
Old 9th June 2012, 02:07 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Thermaltrack

Quote:
It seems that after i common heatsink both of the drivers and in the middle attached the VBE transistor i ve noticed that the amp become much more stable and sound was far better and in a better "order " i have added 0.1mfd as a bias stabilizer ....
I have always thought that the problem with bipolar amps is linearity. Because any effort to increase linearity will always improve performance considerably.

1) I may try a mechanical way to trim the thermal coupling (2 heatsinks on top of each other with insulator in between).

2) Have anybody tried the thermal track device with the P3A? Somebody may say that it is not a P3A anymore, but... It will still has the goodness of P3A. I have "steal" the P3A frontend with good results. I have inverted P3A topology (become EF) and it is the best I have so far for that topology, outperform commercial design with the same topology and complex auxiliary circuit. I have also changed the output stage of P3A with darlington transistor and it is so far the best also for darlington amps.
Old 9th June 2012, 02:10 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

sorry ... no darlingtons for me (that will include thermal track ones )
Old 9th June 2012, 02:37 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
sorry ... no darlingtons for me (that will include thermal track ones )
Yes, it was just to say how thoughtful the P3A has been designed. I collect amps with all "topology", trying to get the best for each of them, including darlington amps.

But I forgot that P3A is a CFP.

When I'm okay with a circuit, I will do a perfect implementation, including:

1. The shortest point-to-point construction (preventing bad influence of no capacitance/inductance from PCB traces)

2. On-board (near the output transistor) capacitor bypass (MKP) value is selected by ears. I also try -V to +V bypass. There is always an optimal cap.

3. Good supply cap, I prefer a multiple of 4700uF.

About bootstrap cap, I would like also to choose the value and capacitor brand/type by ears.
Old 9th June 2012, 02:46 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

in my case instruments is before ears ...

Hide this!Advertise here!