OPA2132P vs OPA2132PA WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th June 2012, 09:23 AM   #1
teleman is offline teleman  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default OPA2132P vs OPA2132PA WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE?

Could someone please tell me if there's any difference in performance between OPA2132P & OPA2132 PA? OPA2132P seems to be more expensive than the latter,but the specs on the TI site is the same for both,except for that OPA2132P is given as industry standard. (spec?).

Thanks.

Last edited by teleman; 6th June 2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 6th June 2012, 10:05 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

If you look at the datasheets you will notice some very slightly different specs between the two. They both come from the exact same silicon though. The parts that test with the slightly better specs they bin as the "P" version. Since the difference in specs have pretty much zero influence in an audio circuit, they bin the rest as "PA" and market them for audio applications.
Old 6th June 2012, 10:20 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you theAnonymous1 for the super fast response to my query. In the spec sheet on TI site, they have given for just OPA2132! I bought a few on the e-Bay from a HK seller. Now I'm not sure if these are genuine or generic/fake.Here's a picture of the device.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OPA2132 PA-2.jpg (129.7 KB, 363 views)

Last edited by teleman; 6th June 2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 6th June 2012, 01:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

They look very different from the genuine OPA2132PA that I have, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are fake (but very well could be).

The stamping on the bottom of mine say they were made in Malaysia, not the Philippines. Perhaps the ones from the Philippines do look different even though genuine, I don't know.
Old 6th June 2012, 01:39 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleman View Post
Thank you theAnonymous1 for the super fast response to my query. In the spec sheet on TI site, they have given for just OPA2132! I bought a few on the e-Bay from a HK seller. Now I'm not sure if these are genuine or generic/fake.Here's a picture of the device.

Cheers
Easiest way to find out is to measure quiescent current and compare to spec sheet. I work with OPA2134, which is basically the same, and had the same question. From memory should draw something like 7mA.

vac
Old 6th June 2012, 04:45 PM   #6
jitter is offline jitter  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

7 mA quiescent current is typical of the OPA627, for the OPA2132 it should be typ. 4 mA, max. 4.8 mA, for the OPA2134 typ. 4 mA, max. 5 mA. Anything other than these values and they're either fake or damaged (or both).

I agree with theAnonymous1 that the P version is the better specced one. Esp. offset voltage drift seems to be half (so that's a bit more than "slightly" better) but that would be of little consequence to audio applications.
In the instruments (measuring equipment) I test and calibrate, the difference between the OPA627AP and -BP is easily visible, but again negligible for audio apps.

Last edited by jitter; 6th June 2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 6th June 2012, 05:24 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitter View Post
7 mA quiescent current is typical of the OPA627, for the OPA2132 it should be typ. 4 mA, max. 4.8 mA, for the OPA2134 typ. 4 mA, max. 5 mA. Anything other than these values and they're either fake or damaged (or both).

I agree with theAnonymous1 that the P version is the better specced one. Esp. offset voltage drift seems to be half (so that's a bit more than "slightly" better) but that would be of little consequence to audio applications.
In the instruments (measuring equipment) I test and calibrate, the difference between the OPA627AP and -BP is easily visible, but again negligible for audio apps.
Jitter,

I spoke from memory, so you are undoubtedly right.

vac
Old 6th June 2012, 09:58 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The TI specs don't specify each OPA 2132 device as far as I could tell, perhaps,I have overlooked. Sorry! The Iq is indeed 4.8mA/opamp/max as jitter has correctly stated. In the mean time I will do the Iq measurement & confirm it.

I did compare this to a few other packages such as BB, Fairchild,ON but mine doesn't corrospond to any of the packaging description of the others. However, it does sound "good" to my ears,yet I have no way of comparing it with a BB ATM. Good to know that the PA version is good as it gets & is good enough for audio,besides it's only about half the price of the original BB! This is what tempted me to buy these in the 1st place!
Attached Images
File Type: gif OPA2132 Top package Markings.gif (1.4 KB, 269 views)

Last edited by teleman; 6th June 2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 7th June 2012, 02:16 AM   #9
BrianL is offline BrianL  United States
diyAudio Member

Look at page 3 of the OPA2132 datasheet. There are separate sets of columns for low grade and high grade. Many specs are the same, but the high grade has better DC specs.

Note that quiescent current is spec'ed "per amplifier" on the datasheet. There are two amps in the device, so power consumption at the power pins is 2X the value spec'ed.
Old 7th June 2012, 02:35 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleman View Post
Good to know that the PA version is good as it gets & is good enough for audio,besides it's only about half the price of the original BB! This is what tempted me to buy these in the 1st place!
I believe the OPA2134PA is exactly the same as OPA2132PA, maybe a subject of further "binning" as I explained above. The 2134PA is even cheaper than the 2132PA.

Hide this!Advertise here!