OPA2132P vs OPA2132PA WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Could someone please tell me if there's any difference in performance between OPA2132P & OPA2132 PA? OPA2132P seems to be more expensive than the latter,but the specs on the TI site is the same for both,except for that OPA2132P is given as industry standard. (spec?).

Thanks.

Last edited:
If you look at the datasheets you will notice some very slightly different specs between the two. They both come from the exact same silicon though. The parts that test with the slightly better specs they bin as the "P" version. Since the difference in specs have pretty much zero influence in an audio circuit, they bin the rest as "PA" and market them for audio applications.

Thank you theAnonymous1 for the super fast response to my query. In the spec sheet on TI site, they have given for just OPA2132! I bought a few on the e-Bay from a HK seller. Now I'm not sure if these are genuine or generic/fake.Here's a picture of the device.

Cheers

Attachments

• OPA2132 PA-2.jpg
    OPA2132 PA-2.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 996
Last edited:
They look very different from the genuine OPA2132PA that I have, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are fake (but very well could be).

The stamping on the bottom of mine say they were made in Malaysia, not the Philippines. Perhaps the ones from the Philippines do look different even though genuine, I don't know.

Thank you theAnonymous1 for the super fast response to my query. In the spec sheet on TI site, they have given for just OPA2132! I bought a few on the e-Bay from a HK seller. Now I'm not sure if these are genuine or generic/fake.Here's a picture of the device.

Cheers

Easiest way to find out is to measure quiescent current and compare to spec sheet. I work with OPA2134, which is basically the same, and had the same question. From memory should draw something like 7mA.

vac

7 mA quiescent current is typical of the OPA627, for the OPA2132 it should be typ. 4 mA, max. 4.8 mA, for the OPA2134 typ. 4 mA, max. 5 mA. Anything other than these values and they're either fake or damaged (or both).

I agree with theAnonymous1 that the P version is the better specced one. Esp. offset voltage drift seems to be half (so that's a bit more than "slightly" better) but that would be of little consequence to audio applications.
In the instruments (measuring equipment) I test and calibrate, the difference between the OPA627AP and -BP is easily visible, but again negligible for audio apps.

Last edited:
7 mA quiescent current is typical of the OPA627, for the OPA2132 it should be typ. 4 mA, max. 4.8 mA, for the OPA2134 typ. 4 mA, max. 5 mA. Anything other than these values and they're either fake or damaged (or both).

I agree with theAnonymous1 that the P version is the better specced one. Esp. offset voltage drift seems to be half (so that's a bit more than "slightly" better) but that would be of little consequence to audio applications.
In the instruments (measuring equipment) I test and calibrate, the difference between the OPA627AP and -BP is easily visible, but again negligible for audio apps.

Jitter,

I spoke from memory, so you are undoubtedly right.

vac

The TI specs don't specify each OPA 2132 device as far as I could tell, perhaps,I have overlooked. Sorry! The Iq is indeed 4.8mA/opamp/max as jitter has correctly stated. In the mean time I will do the Iq measurement & confirm it.

I did compare this to a few other packages such as BB, Fairchild,ON but mine doesn't corrospond to any of the packaging description of the others. However, it does sound "good" to my ears,yet I have no way of comparing it with a BB ATM. Good to know that the PA version is good as it gets & is good enough for audio,besides it's only about half the price of the original BB! This is what tempted me to buy these in the 1st place!

Attachments

• OPA2132 Top package Markings.gif
    OPA2132 Top package Markings.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 802
Last edited:
Look at page 3 of the OPA2132 datasheet. There are separate sets of columns for low grade and high grade. Many specs are the same, but the high grade has better DC specs.

Note that quiescent current is spec'ed "per amplifier" on the datasheet. There are two amps in the device, so power consumption at the power pins is 2X the value spec'ed.

Yes,yes... I do see now a few different parameters between these two, sorry! I did observe one thing though...the markings on the devices. I noticed that the BB logo is printed smack in the middle on top section of the device on some as is in the original BB, but more to the left or right on others! I'm not sure how significant or helpful this is in identifying the various manufacturers? There are also other give away tell tale signs like production date/batch no/origin etc. Perhaps someone would care to give us a photo of the original?

I've also encountered similar problems with NE5532 chips!

I'm not sure if BB moved their production to any far eastern countries or not. So,we amay be well at looking at numerous variables I think!

Btw,OPA2132x is BFET & 2134x is JFET I believe.

Note to administrator/moderator:
Please delete/remove pictures if they deemed infringing on any copyrights!

Attachments

• OPA2132-5.jpg
    OPA2132-5.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 518
  • OPA 2132-3.jpg
    OPA 2132-3.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 518
  • OPA2132 PA-7.jpg
    OPA2132 PA-7.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 532
  • OPA 2132-2.jpg
    OPA 2132-2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 522
Last edited:
It would be the other way around. TI owns BB since 2000 but many products designed by BB are still manufactured under the BB logo.

The problem with relying on the position of printing is that even on genuine products it can be all over the place. For a few pics of several different OPA627s (because of the high price very counterfeit-prone) through the years, please take a look at this thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/198171-genuine-opa627-info.html. Some might look very similar to some of the OPA2132s in this thread.

In it you'll also find a test setup for measuring quiescent current and a test I did on some different opamps with a diy ~100 kHz square wave generator using an LM393 and a couple of components.

With some alterations, both should be suitable to check out OPA2132/2134s too.

The best chance of getting genuine items is through authorized resellers. Reputable resellers are the next best bet. Chances of getting counterfeits are huge on eBay and from brokers.

Last edited:
I agree with you-Jitter-entirely on the points you have raised in your last post. Seems like nothing is static or certain these days! Different locations, factories,regions, production deviations & so on do culminate in products looking progressively different from the original.On the other hand, counterfeiting has been, still is & will be a perennial problem. "If you can't make it fake it" must be their motto of many of these cowboys.

I did read through your other thread on OPA627's & found it very interesting & alarming to say the least. I think the customer will be well served buying only from authorized sellers. However,the biggest hinderance to many elec. enthusiasts, both individuals & small companies IMHO is the near prohibitive high postage charges levied by these big distributors & sellers on small quantities.,thus forcing many customers to source from dubious vendors!

'nough said!

....I think the customer will be well served buying only from authorized sellers. However,the biggest hinderance to many elec. enthusiasts, both individuals & small companies IMHO is the near prohibitive high postage charges levied by these big distributors & sellers on small quantities.,thus forcing many customers to source from dubious vendors!

Teleman, if you ever need more genuine 2132pa just send me a PM. I have over 20pcs sitting here for the last few years that came from Digikey, so guaranteed they are genuine. My shipping charge is 3USD. ;)

Thank you the Anonymous1 for the kind offer. I've made a note of it. It's just I have a few fake?/generic/counterfeit devices ,which I need to use up or sell first. Any takers?
These don't sound bad at all..actually a little better than OPA2134 in this particular application (acoustic guitar blender preamp) it's just I want to hear how the real stuff sounds! Perhaps I should go in to baking "Fake bread" to sell on the Bay & be content for the rest of my life! Lol!

Thanks.

Last edited:
Faked opa2132pa?

I bought these op amps and I suspect they are fake / remarked. The seller is trying to convince me that these are NOS part made by BB before acquired by TI that why they look different.

What do you guys think?
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.