SONY Is it really true?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Probably not.

Home Theater testing is not the same as the old way for 2 channel stereos.

Example: Let's say they test one channel to ~200wpeak.
First of all, the 200w is not usable clean sound.
Second and far more important, they only have to test one channel at a time, not six. It is a loop hole.

Back when 2 Channel stereo amps were more common, they all had to go under regulated tests, or risk being pulled from the shelves. AFAIK it is still this way for 2channel. "Home theater" and all others do not follow under these guidelines.

Even if it was true, is it really all that impressive for an amp with 6 channels?

You need to find out what it has for a power supply, that may give you a better picture.
In most cases you realize the power supply is not strong enough to power ALL the channels to full power, just one at a time for "testing".

I suppose even Sony has to do this to stay competitive with other advertisers.

I'm fairly sure it'll stand 2 channels driven, in keeping with the requirements for stereo amplifiers.

Next up, the power figures are usually at 10% distortion. This is way past listenable - you could probably half those power ratings and get something much closer to the truth.

... the puny satellites won't stand much power either, so its lucky that the amplifiers don't put much out.

It's all seriously over-rated, fairly typical of average Joe sound systems.

I don´t believe it is true. Here in Argentine, it is common to use the acronym PMPO (peak maximum power output???), and the true is that this value divided 300 is the real power at the speaker, in my experience measuring equipment in the Philco of Argentina several years ago. In example, a set of announced 1500W PMPO is really a 5-7W/channel at 10% THD. It is sufficient to see the rear of the speaker, and or the size of the heatsinks of the output stage, or the transformer´s weight.

Download the manual from Sony India and look at the specs. Quite creative:

Brazilian models:
all channels except subwoofer (SW): 142 W/ch @ 3 Ohms, 1kHz/10% THD;
SW: 140 W @ 3 Ohms, 80 Hz/10% THD.

Other models (rated):
all channels except subwoofer (SW): 108 W/ch @ 3 Ohms, 1kHz/1% THD;
SW: not specified

Other models (reference):
all channels except subwoofer (SW): 167 W/ch @ 3 Ohms, 1kHz/THD not specified);
SW: 140 W @ 3 Ohms, 80 Hz/THD not specified.

No specification of the measurement method. Also, the nominal impedance of the speakers doesn't seem to be specified.

The power consumption is rated at 160 W. I assume that is max. power consumption. Based on this I assume that the amp power ratings are peak power and not continuous power.
My guess... about 25 W continous power into 3 Ohms, maybe 10 W into 8 ohms per channel...

They cheat. By using a seperate sub, they cut the bandwidth of all the other amplifiers. It requires much more headroom to have all the frequencies in one amplifier channel, that is a full bandwidth speaker cabinet with a crossover network showing a highly reactive load.:p I find it is harder to correctly put the signal back together after seperating it in such a way, it depends on your position relative to the speakers. I guess that is why they need a bunch of fancy signal processing.:rolleyes: I'd say build a better amp, like they use to back in the day when Sony meant a quality product, but then I don't work for Sony.

I was in Fiji last year and was quite amused by the consumer electronics sold there. Being from the USA, I'm pretty used to audio gear ratings being *somewhat* realistic. But when I saw an all-in-one shelf receiver/amp/mp3/DVD/surround system with a big sticker on the front saying "7,600 Watts," I literally laughed-out-loud. It was about a foot-cubed and weighed maybe 10 pounds. It was a brand I'd never seen before. Much of the gear sold over there was equally atrocious with ridiculous ratings - also mostly brands I've never seen before.

After seeing that, a Sony with a rating 50% over actual, or maybe even accurate when driven to an intolerable distortion level, it doesn't seem that bad.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.