Panasonic FC caps for Class A amp power supply??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I would like to know if I can use successful Panasonic FC capacitors for a Class A amplifier power supply.
I want to use (multiple) about 30-40PC 3300uF 25V capacitor like on the attachment. Rail voltage around 16 -17VDC... (Picture only for ref)
I see on Ebay these methods getting more and more popular. Another reason the Panasonic FC not bad caps, all do I only know them from P. Daniel Gain clone.
Until now always I used large can caps in power supply (min. 10 000uF and up),
I would like to know if there is any disadvantage or advantage using these type PS..
Any advise, comment welcome.
Thank you very much:)

Greetings Gabor

Attachments

• $(KGrHqEOKp!E5(8rv0G5BOiWErV44Q~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqEOKp!E5(8rv0G5BOiWErV44Q~~60_3.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 659
Last edited:
It all depends on space and component availability. With a gazillion smaller caps you can fill an area much better without taking up much height, which is definitely advantageous if you intend to build a very flat piece of equipment. I would also assume better high-frequency properties.

If you do have the height but PCB real estate is critical, conventional "big can" types are more suited for audio work - besides you don't get a million solder joints. This option seems to be quite a bit cheaper, too.

I don't know if it's needed for Class-A, but multiple caps in parallel like this nets a stupid high ripple current rating. You usually see this sort of thing in high current motor drive circuits.

I've done this before for Class-D simply because I already had a bazillion smaller caps and didn't want to buy new larger ones.

Attachments

• amp1.jpg
    amp1.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 666
Thank you..
I purchased already 30PC 3300uF FC capacitors. I taught I ask for opinion before I start to solder them...
I want to bias the amp 1A each side.
If they work nice may be I buy 10PC 4700uF more. A Dollar each including shipping from Ebay.
To me FC sound good but I wasn't sure to use it in Class A PS..

Greetings Gabor

Thank you..
I purchased already 30PC 3300uF FC capacitors. I taught I ask for opinion before I start to solder them...
I want to bias the amp 1A each side.
If they work nice may be I buy 10PC 4700uF more. A Dollar each including shipping from Ebay.
To me FC sound good but I wasn't sure to use it in Class A PS..

Greetings Gabor
Very likely fakes. If they are, and you still like the sound - my opinion is further strengthened. Caps don't matter. They all sound the same.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Joker, caps don't matter and all sound the same !? You are on an audio site. Most here know they sound different (not necessarily better). They also measure different which should be indicative they're not the same. It is just what you say: an opinion. Luckily there is science. Science defeats opinions.

I agree on the fakes though as that price can not be true. I heard earlier that fake Pana FC seem to exist. Recently I had some unusual looking 1800/35 (gold print on sleeve thin) but they looked like the original inside. I would buy them from the regular distributors to be sure I got the originals. Till now I use FC/FM with pleasure. They measure OK, sound OK and I haven't had one that failed (till now). I would like them to have copper wires instead of steel.

CRT, I would NOT use 25V rating as that clearly is too low for a standard F5 with a 2 x 18V transformer.

Last edited:
Hello
I have several FC type (different values) what I have from Mouser all has steel wire..
Even what came with my gain clone from P Daniel has steel leads. Probably the FM has copper wires, I don't know??
I will open up one original (I know 100% original) capacitor and one what I just purchased let see inside.
4PC arrived damaged (dented) I will open up one.
Outside look like 100% original, not just the sleeve but alu can and the bottom rubber to..
Actually the 25V FC not expensive at all and many distributors double the manufacturer price.
That is how they can aford to have sometimes (30-40% sale) Just take a look at Solen Electronics.
I will use them 18VDC (I think that is OK), not for F5 other Class A amp..
Yes all caps has their sound character, does not sound the same.. I would say they sound different.
The challenge to find the right (right tone) cap to the right place (my opinion).. That is the reason I asked (started these thread) how they work out as a PS capacitors.

Greetings Gabor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.