NAD 906 silent - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th May 2012, 07:56 AM   #1
klitgt is offline klitgt  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default NAD 906 silent

My good old NAD 906 has become silent in one of the 6 channels. I must admit that I short circuited the speaker terminals on the now silent channel by accident and now my question is how many components I can expect are damaged? Maybe only the power transistors Q421-Q423 (MJ15022-MJ15023)?
Any ideas as to a solution? Schematic shows the left channel in one of the 3 pairs of channels.
Attached Images
File Type: gif LChannel906.gif (100.2 KB, 88 views)
Old 30th May 2012, 09:23 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Can you tell us whether the on-board fuses have blown or what voltages are present on the output terminals as it is?
Are there signs of damage to parts around the output stage?
Old 31st May 2012, 11:50 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you Ian, I mentioned my problem to my son-in-law who said he would be interested in trying to solve it. He is a technician with access to repair facilities. He took the amp with him yesterday evening and I will pass on your message.
Old 8th June 2012, 10:44 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

A good piece of advice: Look for even microscopic disconnections in the copper traces, also far away from the output stages. In this case I found the problem at the input pcb between the bridging switch and the line output connector (marked red on schematic).
Now it works fine again
Attached Images
File Type: gif Inputboard906.gif (93.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2663.jpg (184.8 KB, 52 views)
Old 31st December 2013, 06:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klitgt View Post
My good old NAD 906 has become silent in one of the 6 channels. I must admit that I short circuited the speaker terminals on the now silent channel by accident and now my question is how many components I can expect are damaged? Maybe only the power transistors Q421-Q423 (MJ15022-MJ15023)?
Any ideas as to a solution? Schematic shows the left channel in one of the 3 pairs of channels.

I'm sure you've fixed it since you posted last year, but if not: just check the fuses. I have a NAD 906 and I love it to death. I once shorted the speaker terminals on one of the channels and heard a pop, same as you. Turns out that it was just a fuse. For that model, you must remove the chassis cover, and after 15 seconds of investigation you'll see that each of the three amps inside has a glass fuse. Just see if one is blown, and if so put a new one in. I practically guarantee you that's the problem.

BTW, I think this is one of the best designs NAD ever made. Bridged, you get 90wpc, and given NAD's conservatism that is absolutely a **** ton of power, particularly since the mains are only running high-pass above 80hz. Super flexible and the absolute bare minimum of aesthetics that you could ever have (can't stand flashy looking gear). A power amp isn't really subject to NAD's oft-cited reliability issues because there are no moving parts. I put an IEC inlet on mine so it was easier to plug in, and used that opportunity to clean things up inside.

Hide this!Advertise here!